Thread: Gnome in 20.04 keeps blanking my screen after seconds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Gnome in 20.04 keeps blanking my screen after seconds

Installed 20.04 last week, and been experiencing strangeness with the display -- most notably now, that my screenlock times out seconds after I stop typing/mousing, whatever I set the timeout to. Using the box at home, I don't password protect the lock.

It's a new GeForce1030 card with the Nvidia drivers, but I really don't think it's a driver issue, had similar issues with the Nouveau drivers.

Other information:

1) I keep root on a separate partition from /home, but for reasons not worth going into, instead of installing 20.04 over 16.04, I reformatted and repartitioned and copied a /home backup -- only reason I bring it up is because I wonder if something left there is messing with my configuration?

2) syslog shows countless instances on the order of every 3-4 seconds of "ep 22 08:05:14 Xxxxx gnome-shell[14113]: Object .Gjs_ui_pointerA11yTimeout_PieTimer (0x5566dc58fc20), has been already deallocated — impossible to access it. This might be caused by the object having been destroyed from C code using something such as destroy(), dispose(), or remove() vfuncs."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gnome in 20.04 keeps blanking my screen after seconds

#1 is plausible cause indeed, given the huge differences between those releases regarding the desktop environment.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    #1 is plausible cause indeed, given the huge differences between those releases regarding the desktop environment.
    especially since I was (happily) using Unity. what I'm hoping is that there's a simple dconf (gconf?) setting I can disable, because after two days customizing to where I like things, I sure don't want to have to reinstall.

Beans
    Distro

I wound up just resetting with dconf reset -f /org/gnome/

Beans

If you make a new user and log in as that is it OK? If so then old configs will be the culprit as the new user will get vanilla settings