Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reinstalling Windows on dual boot system

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Reinstalling Windows on dual boot system

The bios tells me the hard drive is booted in UEFI mode but I do not see how to find where there is an option to choose between windows and ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's in the Boot menu or equivalent. Every firmware is different. Again, where you find "Windows bootloader manager" navigate to it and press Enter (or follow your firmware's specific instructions), other boot options should be listed there.

Yes, this requires some effort in reading about boot process requirements and your own manual (~5min). If you're installing any OS you don't have the luxury of ignoring basic aspects of the process.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    If it is windows 8.1 or 10 then fast boot is on, disable it in windows. Boot to you ubuntu USB install boot repair and use pastebin to paste output, no repair yet. Let these people see what you are working with first. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
    https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/rGX8mdccsb/

Edit: Booting into the live usb shows an error:

Check finished: errors found in1 files! You might encounter errors.
    Last edited by makem2; September 21st, 2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added error msg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your summary report clearly shows all the required bootloaders for Windows and Ubuntu present in the ESP, as it should be.
    Furthermore, as expected. it shows the following boot order:

Code:
    BootOrder: 2001,0004
    where 2001="EFI USB Device" (perfectly normal considering you're booting a live session from an external USB media) and 0004="Windows Boot Manager" exactly as expected.

So, again as suggested, you should disable Windows Fast Startup feature as that creates issues for dual-booting and even Windows standalone. Then, for the third time in this thread, all you need to do is change the boot stanza back to "Ubuntu" instead of "Windows bootloader manager".

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Your summary report clearly shows all the required bootloaders for Windows and Ubuntu present in the ESP, as it should be.
    Furthermore, as expected. it shows the following boot order:

Code:
    BootOrder: 2001,0004
    where 2001="EFI USB Device" (perfectly normal considering you're booting a live session from an external USB media) and 0004="Windows Boot Manager" exactly as expected.

So, again as suggested, you should disable Windows Fast Startup feature as that creates issues for dual-booting and even Windows standalone. Then, for the third time in this thread, all you need to do is change the boot stanza back to "Ubuntu" instead of "Windows bootloader manager".
    I am still searching for Windows bootloader manager option which is not in bios.

I will check pastebin for your clue 004=windows boot manager which may help me find it

Fast boot was disabled and I see windows boot manager is on sdb2 but I don't see how to access it to change it.
    Last edited by makem2; September 21st, 2020 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please, advise me where/how to find and edit the boot stanza from either windows or the live ubuntu usb.

Once I find it I will change it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First of all, it's in the UEFI ("BIOS") settings > BOOT menu, not in any OS. And surely there aren't that many places where it could be that you miss it.

But it can be managed by software tools thanks to the UEFI improvements over the obsolete BIOS. If you could boot Ubuntu then you would use 'efibootmgr'. From Windows which is the OS you can boot now, there's third-party tool that can be used, EasyUEFI.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    First of all, it's in the UEFI ("BIOS") settings > BOOT menu, not in any OS. And surely there aren't that many places where it could be that you miss it.

But it can be managed by software tools thanks to the UEFI improvements over the obsolete BIOS. If you could boot Ubuntu then you would use 'efibootmgr'. From Windows which is the OS you can boot now, there's third-party tool that can be used, EasyUEFI.
    There are only two place to look in the bios, Boot priority option and system configuration

Boot priority:

usb
    hdd/ssd
    lan
    odd

System configuration:

Boot Mode: UEFI boot or CSM boot

No place that windows boot manager could hide

I will try the efibootmgr from the usb
    Last edited by makem2; September 21st, 2020 at 09:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Code:
    xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ efibootmgr
    BootCurrent: 0003
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 2001,0004,0002,2003,2002
    Boot0000* Realtek PXE
    Boot0001* Realtek PXE
    Boot0002* ubuntu
    Boot0003* EFI USB Device (ASIX AX88772 USB Fast Ethernet Controller)
    Boot0004* Windows Boot Manager
    Boot0007* Realtek PXE
    Boot0008* Realtek PXE
    Boot0009* Realtek PXE
    Boot000A* Realtek PXE
    Boot000B* TOSHIBA MQ02ABD100H             
    Boot0015* Realtek PXE
    Boot0016* Realtek PXE
    Boot0017* ubuntu
    Boot0018* ubuntu
    Boot0019* Realtek PXE
    Boot001A* ubuntu
    Boot001B* ubuntu
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
    Boot2003* EFI Network
    xubuntu@xubuntu:~$
    I see where I can change Windows Boot Manager to ubuntu but 'how' is not obvious. I have to find that boot file and edit it using nano in my case.

I prefer to make the change using ubuntu not third party windows if I can find how!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Using the third party tool I booted xubuntu into emergency mode.

I am loath to ask for help in this thread so will go try to find where to go from here so as not to risk messing up.

Thank you for the assistance.

EDIT: Checking the journal show errors related UEFI so maybe am in the right thread?

Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e

and

MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI MokListRT

There are thousands of lines - is it suitable for pastebinit and ask for assistance ?
    Last edited by makem2; September 21st, 2020 at 10:44 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast