Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: the best way to mount disk from device that is on wifi connection

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Beans
    336

    Question the best way to mount disk from device that is on wifi connection

    Hi all,
    Looking for the best way to mount disk from device that is on wifi connection.

    Usually I just run mc file manager and connect it using ssh; I have shortcut in mc for this path and also authorize using ssh key, so it is more or less convenient. But as the device is on wifi connection, it can break in the middle of big file transfer and it doesn't allow to continue uploading, so I need to repeat it from scratch.

    Now I'm trying sshfs and the connection also breaks, also uploading speed is extremely low, don't understand why.

    Maybe there is another modern way to mount it, please advise.

    Upd: testing FileZilla for now.
    Last edited by marchello_lippi2; September 20th, 2020 at 07:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: the best way to mount disk from device that is on wifi connection

    Quote Originally Posted by marchello_lippi2 View Post
    Hi all,
    Looking for the best way to mount disk from device that is on wifi connection.
    The best answer is to use a wired ethernet connection. The faster, the better. Everything else is a hack for flaky connections.

    Quote Originally Posted by marchello_lippi2 View Post
    Usually I just run mc file manager and connect it using ssh; I have shortcut in mc for this path and also authorize using ssh key, so it is more or less convenient. But as the device is on wifi connection, it can break in the middle of big file transfer and it doesn't allow to continue uploading, so I need to repeat it from scratch.
    Use rsync for a protocol that picks up quickly after failures. rsync uses ssh connections by default the last 15 yrs, so if ssh is the authentication method available, the traffic will be encrypted. This is not a "mount", just a transfer.

    Quote Originally Posted by marchello_lippi2 View Post
    Now I'm trying sshfs and the connection also breaks, also uploading speed is extremely low, don't understand why.
    sshfs uses ssh encryption. That has overhead for both sides of the connection.

    Quote Originally Posted by marchello_lippi2 View Post
    Maybe there is another modern way to mount it, please advise.

    Upd: testing FileZilla for now.
    If you want a mount, use NFS with a read-only connection and force tcp to be used.
    If you need security with the NFS mount (and wifi should never be trusted), use NFSv4 with Kerberos system-to-system authentication and AES encryption. I think there is a 'how-to' to do this in the Ubuntu Server Guide.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •