Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My SDD is not booting anymore - Unable to access

Beans

My SDD is not booting anymore - Unable to access

Hello,

I have a NUC with 1TB SDD, where I have been running Ubuntu successfully for a while. Suddenly, when I tried to start the device, a message appeared: Not a bootable device found. I entered the BIOS of the NUC, and could not find the Hard Drive.

Then I proceed to start the NUC with a bootable USB with Ubuntu. And the hard drive is there /dev/sda. However, the partition is not recognized.

I extracted the SSD and connected to a USB box to try to plug the hard drive to another PC running windows. Using DiskInternal Linux Recovery, I get the same: There is a hard drive with an unknown partition.

I am quite worried since I have important information in this hard drive and not a Backup. Literally, I was going to run the backup when I turned it on.

Is it possible that the Hard Drive is encrypted, and that is why the partition is not detected? If this is the case: I should know the Paraphrase. But I have no idea how to recover the access.

I will much appreciate your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: My SDD is not booting anymore - Unable to access

If the UEFI/BIOS cannot see the drive, then no Linux tools will be able to do anything.

Check cables, connections, but may be drive failure?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

The drive can be seen. But it says that is missing super block.

Beans

Sounds like the partition table or file system has become corrupt, this usually happens if the drive suddenly looses power (bad cable, power outage etc.) or if it is (becoming) faulty. You should try to make an image of the drive with ddrescue, when the drive is properly backed up you can continue to try to fix the broken partition table and/or file system with TestDisk. If the drive is not recoverable, you can use a file carver like PhotoRec (part of TestDisk) and see what may be salvageable. Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are 1001 reasons to have daily, automatic, versioned, backups.
    Computers don't care about our plans to backup.

For something like this, you will be spending a bunch of time recovering files with useless names, then hours, days, weeks, trying to put the names to the files. I know. I've been where you are. TestDisk is the tool of last resort for this reason. For my sneaker*net storage devices, every few months, I fill the empty space on those drives with zeros so really old data that I will never need again doesn't get "found" when using testdisk.

A quick search found this: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1245536 Before attempting any data recovery, you'll need 2 more storage devices.
    • a. for the recovered data
    • b. for the cloned disk image, so you can't do any more harm to the data then has already happened. I'd use ddrescue to clone the disk at the disk level (sdZ), not the partition level (sdZ1).

I'm a believer that whenever people don't follow the 2-disk model above, then they will also hurry and destroy all the data they hope to recover. I've been there. Most of us have.

Being able to restore data from backups is 10-1000x easier than anything you are going to attempt. Good luck.

Get backup religion ASAP.

Beans

Test Disk on Windows was unable to find anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So the conclusion is the drive is faulty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post

For something like this, you will be spending a bunch of time recovering files with useless names, then hours, days, weeks, trying to put the names to the files.

Being able to restore data from backups is 10-1000x easier than anything you are going to attempt. Good luck.
    I used Test Disk on my daughter's files on an XP machine, back in 2006, that was never regularly backed up.
    Test Disk is something I wouldn't wish on an enemy.

I've used Acronis since 2005 and more recently TeraByte. Storage is cheap....time spent on possible recovery is not.

Beans

Hello everyone.

Just an update: The drive was damaged.

I took the disk to a Recovery Data service and they found out there is a severe failure on the printed PCB. They will have to re-program the main modules of the information scanner device, locate the lost and corrupted channels and ports of the volume.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Maybe it's my abject ignorance, which I freely acknowledge, but something about that doesn't sound right.
    regards

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast