Thread: Some keyboard letters and space not working on laptop

Beans

Some keyboard letters and space not working on laptop

Hello,
    I am totally new ubuntu user, just installed ilatest version on my lenovo laptop succesfully but I encountered very strange problem. On laptop\s keyboard b, n and space are not working at all. What is most strange it worked at some point, but mysteriously these letters and space were disabled and I did not find any solutions on region and language settings although I tried to change language settings several times. How on earth it is possible this kind of error happen and how to solve it. I am writing this msg on external keyboard which is working impeccably. Naturally I rebooted laptop several times but problem did not solve.
    Arska
    Last edited by arska79; September 19th, 2020 at 10:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Some keyboard letters and space not working on laptop

Welcome.

Please contact tech support. It's an hardware issue.

Beans

Howdy,

This is an ancient bug in X11/Xorg. Sometimes, it forgets a key or three. This happened to me about 20 years ago.

The solution that I used, was to run xev to see the key codes and then use xmodmap to reset the offending keys to themselves.

Some googling on xmodmap will get you going. There should be some examples in these forums also.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Either a hardware issue or a weird bug (BTW, I never heard of that bug before). First try the second solution. If xev doesn't give you any keycodes on those keys, use the first solution.