Thread: Does enabling multiverse of Groovy in Ubuntu 20.04 break the system while updating?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Does enabling multiverse of Groovy in Ubuntu 20.04 break the system while updating?

Hello friends
    I'm trying to install the software GNU PSPP from the source in my machine that is running on Ubuntu 20.04. There is no official package for this software in the repositories due to various reasons. I realized that a dependency package named 'spread-sheet-widget 0.6' is a prerequisite to installing the GNU PSPP. Unfortunately, this version of the package is available only in the multiverse repository of the Groovy. Hence my question is, does enablement of the multiverse repositories of Groovy break my system while updating?
    With regards
    Dr Kurian
    Microsoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Does enabling multiverse of Groovy in Ubuntu 20.04 break the system while updatin

Yes, it will.

That said you're to try. Maybe safer to enable the repo, install what you need then immediately undo that change.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Does enabling multiverse of Groovy in Ubuntu 20.04 break the system while updatin

Quote Originally Posted by drpjkurian View Post
    Unfortunately, this version of the package is available only in the multiverse repository of the Groovy. Hence my question is, does enablement of the multiverse repositories of Groovy break my system while updating?
    If you enable the Groovy repository, locate the specific package you need and install it, you will probably be OK.

Then, I would advise (as mentioned by CelticWarrior), that you immediately remove the repo to prevent other Groovy packages breaking your system in the future.

In the past, I have done this with Shotwell (to correct a known bug with the slideshow) and no harm was done.

Again, proceed cautiously and, in the event of a problem, it will be easy to identify and remove the single package if it corrupts anything else unwittingly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Let's remember that things are in the Universe repository because they are not elsewhere in the Ubuntu repos.

Everything in Universe is packaged and tested by what Canonical calls a MOTU -- Master of the Universe. These are volunteers who test packages against Ubuntu and include them in Universe when they are as ready as they can be. It may take time to test them against a new release, so that is the primary risk. But they won't likely conflict with anything in the other repos since the application won't be living there. But you will want to stay away from anything labeled "ugly".

As far as whether or not it will break your system: There is a far smaller chance of that than in making an error in building it from source -- or the provider of the source package not having tested it against a specific release of a specific distro.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

I extend my gratitude to everyone who advised me. I appreciate it. I solved the dependencies issue by scaling down the version of GNU PSPP. Hence it does not require any dependency package from Groovy. I installed the software from the source without any issues.
    With regards
    Dr Kurian
    Microsoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house.