Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't format texts in an email editor or a browser address bar. They disappear

Beans

Question I can't format texts in an email editor or a browser address bar. They disappear

Ubuntu: 1804
    I installed Ubuntu in December 2018 after Windows 10 destroyed my hard disk.
    I rarely encounter serious errors. But one problem is persistent and random. As you can see I could format texts here. But if I format texts in an email editor or even some other editors provided by other websites, after I double click on texts to select them, they immediately disappear as if double click means delete, or if I use mouse left button and the cursor to select the texts, the texts disappear after I click on any type of format.

I couldn't format the texts.
    It happens frequently and randomly.
    It happens either I use Firefox or Chrome browser. (It happens only to browsers, never software like LibreOffice.)

It has been about a year.
    I have uninstalled both Firefox and Chrome and reinstalled. It doesn't help.
    I searched in this forum and on the Internet, but no luck.

Does anyone know how to fix?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I can't format texts in an email editor or a browser address bar. They disappear

It sounds like something I have never encountered.

Have you installed the 'restricted extras'? That package brings among other things a set of fonts, that may be necessary to render the formatting of the text.

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Otherwise there could be problems in the cooperation between the browser and the web page, where you try to do the formatting. In that case we can't do much in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I can't format texts in an email editor or a browser address bar. They disappear

Have you tried disabling browser extensions? Have you tried running the browser with a fresh profile?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just guessing, but have you tried a different mouse or tweaking the mount settings to speed up or slow down what a double-click means? My mom had terrible arthritis and her mousing became a problem. She had issues with select + drag + drop too. She was always accidentally releasing the mouse while dragging stuff.

As for the browser stuff, I'd create a new userid, logout, login using the new userid and see if the problems persist.
    If they don't, then the problem is with your browser settings for the other userid.
    If they do, then it is a system-wide issue.
    If system-wide, I'd create and boot from a "Try Ubuntu" flash drive and test again. Perhaps try a different DE.
    If the issues continue after that, then it is either hardware or your ISP.

As always,
    1. Simplify
    2. Test
    3. Repeat from step 1 until the problem has been simplified to become known.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't know how to fix the problem, but I do know something that would help if you use Firefox. It's a browser extension called Textarea Cache. It records everything you type into a browser window so you can recover from accidentally deleting what you've written. You can scroll back through previous entries as well. I write a lot on forums, and Textarea Cache is a must-have extension for me.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

It took me a while to find my own question. The one-account-for-all-forums is a bit confusing. Thank all of you for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Have you installed the 'restricted extras'?
    I will try it. But when I double clicked texts here, they didn't disappear. I'm using Firefox with some extensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Have you tried disabling browser extensions? Have you tried running the browser with a fresh profile?
    Good questions. It's possible one of the extensions is the culprit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Just guessing, but have you tried a different mouse or tweaking the mount settings to speed up or slow down what a double-click means? ... If they do, then it is a system-wide issue.
    I mostly use the touchpad. But they do. I can format texts when I use any other software. It only happens to the browsers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    It's a browser extension called Textarea Cache.
    I can get the texts back by pressing ctrl+z. The problem is I am unable to format the texts when I use browsers. It seems like formatting texts = deleting them, sometimes selecting texts = deleting them.

Beans

What makes it more mysterious is the fact that it happens RANDOMLY. Sometimes, I can select texts and format. At first, it only happened to Chrome browser, then "spread" to Firefox. Now it still happens more frequently to Chrome than Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

As for the browser stuff, I'd create a new userid, logout, login using the new userid and see if the problems persist.
    If they don't, then the problem is with your browser settings for the other userid.
    If they do, then it is a system-wide issue.
    If system-wide, I'd create and boot from a "Try Ubuntu" flash drive and test again. Perhaps try a different DE.
    If the issues continue after that, then it is either hardware or your ISP.

As always,
    1. Simplify
    2. Test
    3. Repeat from step 1 until the problem has been simplified to become known.
    Dd you do these? Linux is multiuser. Take advantage of that.

Beans

Dd you do these? Linux is multiuser. Take advantage of that.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your first reply here. I thought you meant the browser userid. I then tried to create a ubuntu new ID to test, but failed to create one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Failed to create a new user in what way? What did you do to try and create one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast