Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme Installation Issue

Beans

Theme Installation Issue

Hey all,

I'm trying to install the Flat Remix Darkest theme. I downloaded the version I want, extracted and moved to themes. However, it has not shown up as a theme option through Tweaks.

The website recommended this command: gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme "Flat-Remix-GTK-Red"
    However, that seems to be only for the default theme. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the link for where I downloaded the theme from: https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1297351

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Re: Theme Installation Issue

I'd say replace the thing in the quotes with:
    "Flat-Remix-GTK-Red-Dark"
    "Flat-Remix-GTK-Red-Darker"
    "Flat-Remix-GTK-Red-Darkest"

Then replace "Red" with "Blue", "Green", "Yellow" and so on as you need..... Did you try this?

Beans

...extracted and moved to themes
    You should extract the archived folder to ~/.themes, not ~/themes. Note that there is a period before 'themes'.
    Then it will appear in Tweaks.

Beans

Thanks for the links dino! I'll give them a look.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    I'd say replace the thing in the quotes with:
    "Flat-Remix-GTK-Red-Dark"
    "Flat-Remix-GTK-Red-Darker"
    "Flat-Remix-GTK-Red-Darkest"

Then replace "Red" with "Blue", "Green", "Yellow" and so on as you need..... Did you try this?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried this yet, no. I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    You should extract the archived folder to ~/.themes, not ~/themes. Note that there is a period before 'themes'.
    Then it will appear in Tweaks.
    I actually moved it to usr/share/themes. There was no .themes folder in the hidden files. I understand that you can create it. I'm going to try that and check if it works. Thanks for the reply Dennis.

Beans

No luck guys. I made the .themes and .icons folders. I installed the theme and icon versions, extracted them and moved the folders into their respective folders. I installed the user themes extension as well.

The theme/icon theme did not show up in Tweaks. I also tried using the terminal. However, the command just switched to the default flat remix theme. Adding 'Red-Darkest' and so on did not change anything.

tea for one is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Which file did you download?

There may be sub-folders within a master folder.

The sub-folders (i.e. colour choices or light/dark options) should be installed in ~/.themes or /usr/share/themes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Which file did you download?

There may be sub-folders within a master folder.

The sub-folders (i.e. colour choices or light/dark options) should be installed in ~/.themes or /usr/share/themes.
    Appreciate the reply.

I installed a sub folder first: Red-Darkest-NoBorder
    I extracted and moved to usr/share/themes. No dice. Then I moved it to .themes in the Home directory. No change.

I've also tried installing the flat-remix-gtk-master zip file. Extracted and moved to .themes. No result so far unfortunately.

The User Themes extension in Tweaks is currently on. I've tried it with it off as well. Again, no change. The downloaded themes haven't shown up as an option in Gnome Tweaks and the terminal command only changes it to the one default theme despite adding -Darkest and -Darkest-NoBorder to the command.

Beans

Are you using Ubuntu 20.04?

To see if I would have the same problem, using Ubuntu 20.04, I downloaded the theme 07-Flat-Remix-GTK-Red-Darkest_20200718.tar.xz and extracted the theme folder to ~/.local/share/themes (~/.themes should work too). It appeared in Tweaks after I closed it and reopened. But to get the red folders as shown below, you will need to also download the red icon theme that's offered.

But then I found a problem with it: the music player Audacious doesn't theme properly with this theme, so it's a reject for me. But I hope it will work for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

tea for one is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I downloaded the file 09-Flat-Remix-GTK-Red-Darkest-NoBorder_20200718.tar.xz to Downloads.

Extract the file to the same location i.e. Downloads.

Code:
    cd Downloads
    Code:
    sudo mv Flat-Remix-GTK-Red-Darkest-NoBorder/ /usr/share/themes
    It then appears in gnome-tweaks under Appearance>Themes>Applications

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast