Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to manually encrypt partition during installation in Kubuntu?

Beans

How to manually encrypt partition during installation in Kubuntu?

I am trying to install Kubuntu 20 and on Disk Setup i select Manual, then i create one boot partition and one root partition. For the root partition i then select 'physical volume for encryption', but nothing happens. It doesn't ask me to set a password or anything. If i click 'Install Now' also nothing happens.

Beans

Re: How to manually encrypt partition during installation in Kubuntu?

This installer is problematic. If i create boot, home and root partitions and try to encrypt home and root partitions the installer crashes every time.
    Last edited by QIII; September 21st, 2020 at 12:48 AM. Reason: removed trollish verbiage.

Beans

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fu...ion_Howto_2019 for info on how to manually set up LUKS partitions before installing the OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tapucosmo View Post
    See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fu...ion_Howto_2019 for info on how to manually set up LUKS partitions before installing the OS.
    I tried to follow the guide but faced problem when i tried to encrypt the partition for my root system. This is what i did:
    I booted Kubuntu from live usb and choose 'Try Kubuntu'. Then i used GParted to crate one partition for boot - /deb/sdb/sdb1, and one partition for root - /deb/sdb/sdb2. These are my partitions:

Code:
    kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ lsblk
    NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    loop0    7:0    0   1.7G  1 loop /rofs
    sda      8:0    0 111.8G  0 disk 
    ├─sda1   8:1    0    50M  0 part 
    ├─sda2   8:2    0  48.3G  0 part 
    ├─sda3   8:3    0   505M  0 part 
    └─sda4   8:4    0    63G  0 part 
    sdb      8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
    ├─sdb1   8:17   0   500M  0 part 
    ├─sdb2   8:18   0  49.5G  0 part 
    └─sdb4   8:20   0 881.5G  0 part
    Then i tried to encrypt /deb/sdb/sdb2 partition and i tried these two commands:

Code:
    sudo cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdb/sdb2
    and
    Code:
    sudo cryptsetup luksFormat --type luks1 /dev/sdb/sdb2
    but for both i get this error:

Code:
    Device /dev/sdb/sdb2 doesn't exist or access denied.

Beans

I found my mistake. I had to use /dev/sdb2 instead of /dev/sdb/sdb2. I encrypted the partition and installed Kubuntu but when i boot it drops in the initframes terminal. I am missing some steps but i don't know if i can fix this. It looks complicated to me. I'll probably install Fedora KDE or OpenSUSE KDE until Kubuntu fix this installer.
    Last edited by QIII; September 20th, 2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: removed trollish verbiage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I've never had trouble with the installation of Kubuntu. It seems you said you found "your" mistake. Is that the fault of Kubuntu? Are the KDE versions of Fedora (which I use nearly as often as Kubuntu. If Ubuntu and Canonical popped out of existence today, I'd be perfectly happy to carry on with Fedora.) and OpenSUSE any less vulnerable to human error than Kubuntu?

Encryption isn't just a "click a button" proposition in either of those, I don't believe.
    Last edited by QIII; September 20th, 2020 at 06:28 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I've never had trouble with the installation of Kubuntu.
    Have you tried manual partitioning and encrypting the partitions? Try to install Kubuntu 20 on virtualbox, create three partitions - boot, home and root, and try to encrypt the home and root partitions. I bet the installer will crash for you.

Beans

Did you follow the post-installation steps in the guide? It seems like /etc/fstab or /etc/crypttab might not have been configured correctly, or the initramfs might not have been properly rebuilt.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peter1897 View Post
    Have you tried manual partitioning and encrypting the partitions?
    Yes.

Try to install Kubuntu 20 on virtualbox ...
    Did you try a bare metal installation before adding the potentially problematic issue of VBox?

I don't doubt that you are having issues. But one cannot jump the the conclusion that the issues are the fault of Kubuntu. If you want help, that is what we are here for. We are not here for the "I'll use something else" statements. Which distro you choose is none of our business.
    Last edited by QIII; September 21st, 2020 at 12:45 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tapucosmo View Post
    Did you follow the post-installation steps in the guide? It seems like /etc/fstab or /etc/crypttab might not have been configured correctly, or the initramfs might not have been properly rebuilt.
    Yes, i tried to follow the post-installation guide but the steps for implementing chroot and installing cryptsetup-initramfs are confusing to me. If you can help me with more simple guide i will try to follow it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast