Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 infinite loop on reboot, with three services of systemctl

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 infinite loop on reboot, with three services of systemctl

Ubuntu Mate 20.04 crashed and enters an infinite loop on reboot, trying and failing to start the following systemctl services: (1) Stystem Logging Service (rsyslog.service), (2) D-Bus Message System Bus (dbus.service) and (3) Login Service. (This is no other OS on the machine)

My two question are (my machine has a CD drive):
    (1) Isn't there a CD somewhere that will take control of the computer, and fix whatever is wrong? Or,
    (2) isn't there a CD somewhere that will take control of the computer, erase absolutely everything, and install a new operating system?
    Either of those is all I want.

The screen printout is as follows:
    [ OK ] stopped System Logging Service
    starting System Logging Service
    [FAILED] Failed to start Login Service
    see 'systemctl status rsyslog.service' for details
    [ OK ] Stopped Login Service
    [ OK ] Listening on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket
    Starting Login Service
    [ OK ] Started D-Bus System Message Bus These two lines are repeated five times
    dbus.service These two lines are repeated five times
    [FAILED] Failed to start D-Bus System Message Bus
    see 'systemctl status dbus.service' for details
    [FAILED] Failed to start System Logging Service
    see 'systemctl status rsyslog.service' for details
    [ OK ] Stopped System Logging Service
    ... and so on, over and over.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 infinite loop on reboot, with three services of systemctl

Using the dvd you originally installed from try following this instructional website:

try ubuntu before you install

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 infinite loop on reboot, with three services of systemctl

I installed using a USB memory stick. Now, when I "drop down" to the command line, and go to /media/myname/ls I see listed a TOSHIBA external hard drive which is no longer connected to the machine, and I do not see the USB stick, which is now connected to the machine. The boot USB stick has been in there all this time. Trying updatedb makes no difference. I found the GRUB screen where one can set the order of preference for boot source, and placed USB first, but that also does not make a difference. In other words, the computer does not realize that the USB boot stick is there, and I do not know how to make it aware of it and awaken the boot drive on the USB. Nevertheless, I have another computer and both can write to CD-ROMs, and I would be very grateful if you could recommend a rescue disk that would solve the problem, even if it means erasing everything in the process.