Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Beans

After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Dear people, I realized that after recent updates between 31.8-2.9 2020 Ubuntu Studio loses the second display and wi-fi connections. I had to reverse back to 30.8 Timeshift backup to get the external display back. Anyone else having same problem?

I was waiting to get fixed updates to this day, but nothing had changed since that. I have Dell Precision M4700.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

What does that even refer to?
    I have no idea what 31.8-2.9 2020 or 30.8 are.
    Some context of what those mean would help to understand.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    What does that even refer to?
    I have no idea what 31.8-2.9 2020 or 30.8 are.
    Some context of what those mean would help to understand.
    I'm pretty sure they're dates. I don't know what's caused the OP's problems with their proprietary bits, though.

Beans

Those are simply dates. So I was waiting till this day to see if any correcting updates would appear but no. But I think it's the "Ubuntu Studio base" part of the updates that causes the problem. There are now two different ones to update, but they both contain plenty of sub-categories to untick so it would be huge effort to go through each of them one by one to see where it goes wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by apatos View Post
    I have Dell Precision M4700.
    why people assume all models are the same is beyond me. even when companies offer you to configure the model yourself, they would still say i have gazelle or XPS or whatever.

the model you posted can be configured at least with the following GPU chips (if there aren't even more of them out there):
    Intel HD 4000 (with NVIDIA Optimus)
    AMD FirePro M4000 Mobility Pro 1GB GDDR5
    NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB GDDR3
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M 2GB GDDR3
    i am sure there are a couple of vairous wi-fi chips used in same model. since they can be different even based on serial number / manufacture date.

in any case please let us know the specs of the machine and possibly the drivers being used.

few weeks ago a display on one of the PCs switched to nouveau drivers after HWE kernel upgrade, until i selected a newer nvidia driver version (which was now recommended) in additional drivers application. it reverted back to correct resolution and speed.

wi-fi chips drive could have a regression in kernel. again we have no idea what you are running. for production machines it is best to keep the kernel the same and receive only security patches. anyway, depending on the chip you might be able to manually patch the kernel with driver. but make sure secure boot is off.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I don't know what upgrades you installed between 31 August and 2 September. It was in your logs, but you probably deleted those while restoring your backup. Not everyone installs the same upgrades on the same day, as (A) some mirrors may be delayed relative to others, (B) many only install upgrades once a week, not on the same day for all, (C) phased upgrades mean that an upgrade can be delayed for different users by a different random time and (D) not all users have the same packages installed. But if I had to guess, I expect a kernel upgrade would have been responsible. After installing a new kernel, the old one isn't automatically deleted. You can use the grub menu and select advanced options for Ubuntu to boot using an older kernel.

Beans

Thanks for all the replies. I now found out it is probably the kernel thing. If I go to the other options in grub 2 menu and select Ubuntu with Linux 5.4.0 -42 instead of the new -47 version it works. I have NVIDIA Quadro K2000M 2GB GDDR3 as a GPU. And i7 QM 2.6Ghz processor. In the next replies I'll post screenshots of the update lists and in the last two images unticked the parts in submenu I suspect are the culprit. This is from the moment after I reversed back with the Timeshift. What you think am I on the right track opting them out? (I could not attach them here for some reason as I got an error, so I'll make separate reply) Edit: This system does not allow me to add screenshots even without text and resized to smaller scale.
    Last edited by apatos; September 18th, 2020 at 01:48 PM.

Beans

In the security updates submenu there is an item called: " Linux kernel extra modules for version 5.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP". That was the one I thought of opting out. And then under the "other updates" submenu there is "Tool for enabling and disabling wireless devices". Maybe I should leave it out as well?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can use attachments to add screenshots to your post. If you use a screenshot of only the relevant window (not your entire desktop), the picture is smaller, so it's easier to use and the forum won't resize it. And in case you considered it: don't use screenshots of plain text. Paste it as text in your post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    I'm pretty sure they're dates. I don't know what's caused the OP's problems with their proprietary bits, though.
    Makes sense.
    I see there were kernel and xserver (display server) security updates around that time.
    So probably some issue with those updates.
    Here's the security notices for those updates:
    https://ubuntu.com/security/notices/USN-4483-1
    https://ubuntu.com/security/notices/USN-4488-1

That said, as far as posting images use attachments.
    (For attachments any reply option except quick reply should give add a paperclip icon in the reply toolbar.
    Click on that to open the attachments utility, then simply use the upload feature to upload the image(s) from your computer.
    New uploads should automatically get selected for the current thread)

For adding text outputs please use code tags.
    See this post for code tags: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....8#post12776168
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast