Thread: How to encrypt and password protect a directory?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

How to encrypt and password protect a directory?

Hello all,

What would be the best way to password protect a directory under "/home/<user>/"?

It doesn't need to be fort Knox but some authentication by password and a bit of encryption maybe in case I get hacked or something? I don't really know much about encryption beyond the basics but I believe authentication and encryption are not the same thing?

Any help is much appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to encrypt and password protect a directory?

Is this for saving passwords (only) or for saving various data files?

I'm asking because there are special solutions for saving passwords (that are more convenient than a general solution).

Otherwise LUKS encryption can be used.

Beans

In Ubuntu, the file manager (Files) can encrypt a file or folder for you. When encryption is set up, you get an "Encrypt" option when you right-click on a file or folder. See this guide to setting up the ecryption:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-file-manager/

(Note: simplest encryption is to use the 'shared passphrase' option instead of using encryption keys.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Is this for saving passwords (only) or for saving various data files?
    It's just for regular files, but I have also been considering a location in which I can store some of my less sensitive passwords, so I'd be interested to hear about that too

Beans
    Hidden!

This link: KeePass Password Safe should be useful for general information.

More specifically for Ubuntu, I think KeePassXC is what you'd want. You can download it or install it from the repository Universe (version 2.3.1) or from a PPA (version 2.61) or snap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    What would be the best way to password protect a directory under "/home/<user>/"?
    I use Sirikali for this. You will find it in the "Universe" repositories of recent Ubuntu releases.

The project's homepage is here:
    https://mhogomchungu.github.io/sirikali/

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, this looks good. I'll give it a whirl!

Beans
    Distro

Cheers, I'll give it a try as I'm awful with passwords and pretty much just change them every time I log into a site that I don't use often enough to have the password burned into my brain. I still think the best place for sensitive passwords is on a piece of paper kept in some obscure place around the house though

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    In Ubuntu, the file manager (Files) can encrypt a file or folder for you. When encryption is set up, you get an "Encrypt" option when you right-click on a file or folder. See this guide to setting up the ecryption:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-file-manager/

(Note: simplest encryption is to use the 'shared passphrase' option instead of using encryption keys.)
    Thanks, I've just installed seahorse-nautilus and encrypted / decrypted with it, but what I can't understand is why when I encrypt a file with the shared passphrase option, it generates the encrypted file, however I can just decrypt it without using the passphrase? I don't think I fully understand how it works...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    Thanks, I've just installed seahorse-nautilus and encrypted / decrypted with it, but what I can't understand is why when I encrypt a file with the shared passphrase option, it generates the encrypted file, however I can just decrypt it without using the passphrase? I don't think I fully understand how it works...
    I've noticed that too, and imagine it's a tradeoff between convenience and security. Suppose you had 20 files to decrypt. Is it better to require the user to re-enter a long passphrase for each one, or allow the passphrase authentication persist during the same user session with Nautilus open? I would think if you closed Nautilus after decrypting a file, reopened it, and tried to decrypt another, you would have to re-enter the passphrase. That would be something to find out. There may be a time limitation too in any session.