Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easiest way to install Minecraft in Kubuntu 20.04

Beans

Question Easiest way to install Minecraft in Kubuntu 20.04

My nephew has been attempting to install Minecraft 1.16.1 onto my desktop PC running Kubuntu 20.04, but each time we attempt to launch the Minecraft game, it displays a message stating "Please wait" but it never actually loads the game.

I created a user account for my nephew, and made his account part of the sudo group, but this did not seem to make a difference. Does anyone know what we are doing wrong?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
    Qt Version: 5.12.8
    Kernel Version: 5.4.0-47-generic
    OS Type: 64-bit
    Processors: 4 × Intel® Pentium® Gold G5400 CPU @ 3.70GHz
    Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
    Hard Drives: Two 500 GB Seagate Barracuda
    Last edited by cedric9; September 16th, 2020 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Include machine specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Easiest way to install Minecraft in Kubuntu 20.04

Did you remember to install Java?
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Did you remember to install Java?
    Nope, I sure didn't! Guess I'll give that a try on Friday when he comes back. Thanks for the info.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

isn't open JDK installed by default?

installing minecraft on Ubuntu:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-insta...al-fossa-linux

if you need oracle java it get's more complicated now to install it and to maintain it up to date.
    1. you need to sign up to oracle and agree to terms and conditions.
    2. each time when there is an update, you need to manually download it and move it to folder accessible by root only. then perform the update.

go down to oracle java:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-20-04

i would suggest you try with openjdk first.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    isn't open JDK installed by default?
    Could be; I really can't remember. I was mostly prodding the OP towards the fact that Minecraft is a Java application, so there needs to be something to run that. I do remember that when I was last setting it up Minecraft itself seemed to do OK with OpenJDK, but OptiFine really needed Oracle Java.

I've also remembered that somewhere around 1.14-1.15 the original Minecraft.jar stopped working and you needed to switch out to a newer launcher, but I can't remember the symptoms of using the old one. Just that it didn't work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    I've also remembered that somewhere around 1.14-1.15 the original Minecraft.jar stopped working and you needed to switch out to a newer launcher, but I can't remember the symptoms of using the old one. Just that it didn't work.
    well that explains my problem. suddenly nothing past 1.14.3 ran.

Beans

Well, it looks like installing Java allowed me to get Minecraft working on my system, but now I'm wondering about something else related to having this game installed on my PC. I've been doing some reading, and it appears that Minecraft user files can occupy up to an entire gigabyte of space, so now I'm searching for a method to have Minecraft save its data to another partition other than my sda1 partition, where my Kubuntu installation resides.

According to what I've read, there is a way to configure Minecraft to point to another user directory, once a user profile has been created, but it looks like my problem is going to be that my nephew will have to enter an administrator password each time he wants to mount the partition where his Minecraft user files are being stored.

I don't really feel like giving him my password, so is there a way that he can mount one of my NTFS without having to enter a password. Also, I his account to be just a regular user account if I can get away with it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

the easiest way is to automount at boot: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1649...unt-at-startup

this will however, give them access to all NTFS drive.

if you used linux file system on it, you could assign and mount only a folder. i am not sure this is possible on linux with NTFS.

for example i put minecraft server on my home server. then i created minecraft user (normla user, no sudo powers or anything like that) that can only acces via SSH their small /home folder and a folder on RAID1 disk that is mounted at boot and only one folder is accessible to this user. it's where minercfat is and where server runs and saves files.

another option, if you had linux files system, would be to symlink a folder from that system to /home./minecraft of this user

finally, is 1 GB still a lot in the era of terrabyte (1000GB+) drives?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    the easiest way is to automount at boot: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1649...unt-at-startup

this will however, give them access to all NTFS drive.

if you used linux file system on it, you could assign and mount only a folder. i am not sure this is possible on linux with NTFS.

for example i put minecraft server on my home server. then i created minecraft user (normla user, no sudo powers or anything like that) that can only acces via SSH their small /home folder and a folder on RAID1 disk that is mounted at boot and only one folder is accessible to this user. it's where minercfat is and where server runs and saves files.

another option, if you had linux files system, would be to symlink a folder from that system to /home./minecraft of this user

finally, is 1 GB still a lot in the era of terrabyte (1000GB+) drives?
    Well, I really don't want to give him access to all of my NTFS partitions, so I guess what I will have to do is mount the partition for him each time he comes over, which is usually only once or twice a week.

BTW, we got Minecraft to work, but I can find anywhere within its settings to make it store data to an alternate location? Any ideas how this works?

Also, the reason why I'm worried about adding too much to my sda1 partition, is because I usually keep that partition at around 30 Gb in size, that way it is easier/faster to create images of it and to restore them if need be.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cedric9 View Post
    BTW, we got Minecraft to work, but I can find anywhere within its settings to make it store data to an alternate location? Any ideas how this works?
    There are lots of things that are set in the launcher rather than in-game; the save location is one of them. Or you can just symlink that user's ~/.minecraft to wherever you want.

Well, I really don't want to give him access to all of my NTFS partitions, so I guess what I will have to do is mount the partition for him each time he comes over, which is usually only once or twice a week.
    Even using NTFS, which doesn't understand permissions, there's access and there's access. Mounting a partition somewhere at boot and symlinking ~/.minecraft to a directory on it is functionally the same as having ~/.minecraft as a normal directory unless they go digging around in the filesystem in preference to playing Minecraft. We have no idea if your nephew is someone that would do that.

Or you could use a partition that uses a Linux filesystem, so you have standard permissions available to control access. Or you could have /home as a separate partition to reduce the size of your backup images. Or you could have just that user's Home directory as a separate partition. Or have a separate partition to be used just for that user's ~/.minecraft. Or use NFS to mount a filesystem from a different machine entirely. Lots of options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast