Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Easiest way to install Minecraft in Kubuntu 20.04

Try mingling with sudo visudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Forgive me if I sound rude. I'm confused. So many replies. It's a simple thing really. Install Debian version from https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download. Then run
    Code:
    apt update && apt install -fy
    to make sure you got everything it needs (should come with everything). Minecraft will only go to /home/"$USER"/.minecraft. Symlink wherever you want to that location and it will work as long as you have read / write permissions on that location. There is no need for sudo or anything fancy (aside from the inital deb install).

Worlds can get big no question. If this is just one player I wouldn't expect it to get that massive really. The wife and I had a server that never broke 1gb and we were running it for a bit less than a year. If you wanted to write a little script he could keep his worlds on a flash drive. This would require a bit of configuration. The function below could help get you started and you would need to have a noauto,user mountpoint for the flash drive to somewhere then copy the folder to /home/"$USER"/.minecraft. Rsync back when game exits. I use the below function to keep my desktop synced with my server for pxe booted machines I have in the house as well.

Code:
    mc_ssd_launch() {    
        MCBACKDIR=/serverhomes/"$USER"
        if ! ps -u "$USER" | grep minecraft-l ; then
            rsync -au --delete "$MCBACKDIR"/.minecraft /home/"$USER"/
            gtk-launch minecraft-launcher
            until ! ps -u "$USER" | grep minecraft-l ; do
                sleep 10
            done
            rsync -au --delete /home/"$USER"/.minecraft "$MCBACKDIR"/
        fi
    }
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; November 2nd, 2020 at 06:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would highly recommend putting a local MineCraft server in a VM and not going on line with it. With a VM, the youngsters can play from a different machine on your network. A laptop or what have you.

Oracle Java works best with MineCraft. Some features hiccup with OpenJDK, particularly the command line goodies.

I have a MineCraft server on a VM on a separate physical machine on my network for the grands to use without worrying about my machines. I'm generally not a big fan of gaming, but in these days of being locked in due to Covid-19, I thought it appropriate to give them something to do besides breaking farm implements. Life can get a bit boring at the end of a mile of gravel road.

A Gigabyte is a pittance in these days of Terabyte drives if you have one. I gave the MineCraft server VM 500GB. The boys can tear it up. If they break it, I can decide, at my leisure, if I am going to re-install the OS and the Minecraft server.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can also docker the minecraft server easily enough if you wanted to. Here is how I do mine at home now. Has ramdisk capability if you wanted it. Some say it's not much better than ssd. I respecfully disagree. Got the ram to spare so I do it for all my minecraft servers

https://github.com/jmgibson1981/scri...inecraftserver

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Oracle Java works best with MineCraft. Some features hiccup with OpenJDK, particularly the command line goodies.
    Oracle Java also works better on a server?

We used OpenJDK and i've put it on bare metal and assigned 2 Gb RAM to it. unfortunately the server is not as strong as i hopped (CPU wise) so it would sometimes lag.

i created special user with access to only Minecraft server folder and i do not allow any connections from internet (only ports for SSH and nextcloud are open)

VM is not a bad idea. though first i experimented and installed it on my kids machine. he has 8 cores and 16 GB ram, so i guess it could also work as server for all 3 users. i used to be "listen" server with my old single core and it used to work well before, but lately with newer updates this is no longer possible. though we are not at the end of the road, they are at home on extended holidays and they can't go out. so having minecraft working reasonably well is quite important these days.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    he has 8 cores and 16 GB ram, so i guess it could also work as server for all 3 users.
    A Raspberry Pi can handle being a Minecraft server for 3 users.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well looks like AMD Turion II Neo N40L really can't do it so well. or maybe it's just the OpenJDK i used for server?! when i start it up it already has issues and is reporting that it is behind for a few ticks. though overlal it plays OK there are some delays (lag) during game.

Beans
    Distro

To be fair, when I was running a Minecraft server on a Pi, I was using Spigot. I moved it to a NUC, since I was running that anyway as an HTPC and Steam In-Home Streaming target, so I haven't tried recent versions on a recent Pi.
    Last edited by CatKiller; November 3rd, 2020 at 12:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

someday, when i grow up, i will have NUC or the small Asus ITX PC (AMD based) for HTPC as well. for now the old RPi will do for some videos and maybe i will get a new version. they have 8 GB ram now.

This server i sued since it didn't have much use otherwise. special now that there arent' many family pictures &videos that need backup. and mostly it was used just for backup of "phone data" idling and occupying the room in this complex design with RAID1 WD red drives and all sorts of security measures in place. so might as well let is be used more than 5 % and 300 MB ram or whatever it is chugging at now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12