Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a network controlled media player to run on a headless thin client.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Looking for a network controlled media player to run on a headless thin client.

OK thanks all for the suggestions I will have a look at them and try some out.

The Thin client has no fan so is completely silent in operation like a Rasp PI, I do have one of those but an old B+ with 512K ram, which I though would have been a bit small now.

Cheers

Adrian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Looking for a network controlled media player to run on a headless thin client.

I have got Volumio running, installed on a USB disk plugged it in to the Thin client which then booted up to the image. Also plugged in another usb stick with all my mp3 files on it and turned off all web sources that I could find. It seems to do what I want apart from the equaliser, unless that is something I have missed.

I will have a look at gnump3 and mpd later although the documentation does not suggest web based player? Sometimes I get confused over terminology so will persist.

At least the usb sticks to boot off means the Ubuntu operating system is still there if needed at the unplugging of a stick.

Cheers

Adrian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have struggled getting mpd woprking Ubuntu seems to install 0.19 and the docs talk of later versions, the web interface just came back with an error so I have removed that, I just do not know enough.

gnump3 seems to have stopped development in 2007. For the time being it looks like volumio will be used.

Adrian

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adrian-h View Post
    proc = AMD Sempron 2100+ @1GHz shows as i686 so a 32 bit system.
    If it's the Sempron 2100 Fanless, then it should support 64-bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The processor may well do but the mother board may not be capable, not really sure all I know is that when I tried to install Ubuntu on it many moons ago 64 bits would not go onto it but 32 Bit would I gradually built it up from I think version 12 to 16.

I use, or have used a few HP Thin clients for projects like vehicle tracking and a small asterisk system. It has to be a ready done software for me unfortunately.

Anyway I waffle details on the thin client here:-
    https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/

Adrian

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I installed mpd and a few clients today. The system with the speakers connected is my "server". Edit about 3 lines in the /etc/mpd.conf, restart the daemon, install mpc on that same system, run mpc update and let it create a db from the music directory.
    Main things to change where the
    Code:
    music_directory
    bind_to_address         "any"
    mixer_type      "software"
    So it would know where the audio files were and would listen to any network clients. By default, it is set to localhost, which is useless for a networked music player.

On the systems that will control the server, i installed ncmpcpp, setup the ~/.ncmpcpp/config file like this:
    Code:
    ncmpcpp_directory =         "~/.ncmpcpp"
    mpd_host =                  "istar"
    mpd_port =                  "6600"
    mpd_music_dir =             "/stuff/music/"
    The music_dir here is different from that on the mpd server machine. They see music in different places, so that makes perfect sense.

start ncmpcpp and see the music being filled in. The audio volume can't be controlled by the client, it seems. I used alsamixer over an ssh connection.
    Update: I use mpc vol +5 and mpc vol -5 to control volume now.

Installed MPDroid from the f-droid appstore (mostly gnu stuff) and pointed it at the mpd server IP. This worked for my phone, but not for a tablet. Both use my internal DNS, but that didn't work for android. The tablet never saw the mpd server machine by name or IP. With MPDroid, there's only the server IP to setup, left the other parts as default.
    Last edited by TheFu; September 20th, 2020 at 02:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had Kodi running in an LXD container on my server and outputting to a remote pulse server on my lan. The remote only needed enough muscle to run itself and the network activity. You can use a server install with pulseaudio on your remote without a gui. Got the webapp / app on phone for controlling it. Good use for a raspberry pi / thin client with little muscle. PXE boot it for good measure, then it's nothing but a dumb terminal. Here is a link to the guide to it.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...ighlight=pulse
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; September 20th, 2020 at 04:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adrian-h View Post
    I have struggled getting mpd woprking Ubuntu seems to install 0.19 and the docs talk of later versions, the web interface just came back with an error so I have removed that, I just do not know enough.
    If you (or others) are looking for an updated version: https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archi...tu/mpdbackport

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the heads up. I am sure I have missed a few notifications from the site, perhaps my email provider is blocking some.

Adrian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12