Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No microphone input signal while sound still works

Beans

No microphone input signal while sound still works

Hello everyone,

I run xubuntu 20.04 on the Samsung Chromebook with Chrome OS deleted. Initially I was able to fix sound driver issue using the solution here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/9740...r-ubuntu-17-10 (replacing asound.state) but it turned out that I still have no input signal and microphone's not working, although the system displays a mic volume. So there is output signal with no input. Does anyone has any idea how that can be fixed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: No microphone input signal while sound still works

Can you post the output of alsamixer command?
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Sent from my iSomething running Linux - safe, fast and it is free! Didn't have to pay for the badge

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gdesilva View Post
    Can you post the output of alsamixer command?
    Sorry, did not really understand what do you mean by alsamixer command's output. When using 'alsamixer' command it simply shows mixer. When used with 'pastebinit', terminal says that it can't read from 'alsamixer'.

Beans
    Distro

I should have mentioned to post a screen shot. Anyway, check whether there is 'MM' on the Mic column - this means the mic is muted. If so tab across to the Mic (should display Mic in red while others in white) and press 'm' on your keyboard which should unmute the mic.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Sent from my iSomething running Linux - safe, fast and it is free! Didn't have to pay for the badge

Beans

I should have mentioned to post a screen shot. Anyway, check whether there is 'MM' on the Mic column - this means the mic is muted. If so tab across to the Mic (should display Mic in red while others in white) and press 'm' on your keyboard which should unmute the mic.
    Oh, now I get what you're talking about. I thought of doing this but the problem is that there is an insane number of columns in alsamixer for my soundcard and I don't know which deals with mic. I tried unmuting everything I saw there some time ago but it did not help as far as I remember. I can try uploading the screenshot but there would be dozens of them since alsamixer displays only one column at a time with my soundcard.
    Last edited by staskhudzik; September 16th, 2020 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Not sure what's going on with your sound card - in my case, alsamixer gives me all playback settings in one screen, all capture settings in another and then I can see both playback and capture on one screen by pressing F5 - like this https://imgur.com/WgndIZu.png

What type of sound card are you using? The output of lsusb and lspci commands would be useful to start with.

Beans

Not sure what's going on with your sound card - in my case, alsamixer gives me all playback settings in one screen, all capture settings in another and then I can see both playback and capture on one screen by pressing F5 - like this https://imgur.com/WgndIZu.png

What type of sound card are you using? The output of lsusb and lspci commands would be useful to start with.
    Yeah, I know how normal mixer in ubuntu should look like with alsamixer. The problem is that with this soundcard it's totally not the case. According to alsamixer my soundcard is chtrt5650

Command output is:

lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b657 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 720p HD Camera
    Bus 001 Device 009: ID 25a7:fa23 Compx 2.4G Receiver
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 35)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 35)
    00:0b.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller (rev 35)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller (rev 35)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller (rev 35)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #1 (rev 35)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #3 (rev 35)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU (rev 35)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)
    Last edited by staskhudzik; September 19th, 2020 at 03:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro

It appears that this card has been creating headaches to many people. For whatever its worth you may want to try one of these solutions

https://github.com/rgvxsthi/Braswell...ubuntumint-etc

https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pip...er/156099.html

Beans

It appears that this card has been creating headaches to many people. For whatever its worth you may want to try one of these solutions

https://github.com/rgvxsthi/Braswell...ubuntumint-etc

https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pip...er/156099.html
    well, it seems that proposed solutions do not deal with mic specifically. I could, however, test some of them because I fixed the sound using a different solution. Also, I did not understand what the second link deals with. Anyway, thanks for suggestions!

upd: I tried the first solution for the soundcard and it proved to be not effective, unfortunately. Still no mic signal. I think alsamixer might be the source of problem but I simply do not know what to unmute
    Last edited by staskhudzik; September 21st, 2020 at 02:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Note that there is a bug report on no sound on Samsung chromebooks which may or may not be similar to your issue

https://www.mail-archive.com/kernel-...msg398292.html

Sorry cannot be of any further help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast