Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Consoles vs. PC - Comparison Discussion

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Consoles vs. PC - Comparison Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    I want to try this before I buy anything. But it doesn't seem like they have a "demo" game, or anything like that. If they did, they might find more people would be up to using it.
    There's a subscription service, Stadia Pro, that comes with games you don't need to buy separately, and there's a free trial for Stadia Pro. It was a three-month trial for a while, but I think it's back down to one month now.

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i still wonder how well it would work if more people used it. it would also slow down the internet probably.
    It's just a video stream; it's not going to melt the Internet any more than Netflix does.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

With the next-gen about to release, the Series X and PS5 have gotten a lot better.
    It's why I like console. don't have to worry about having to keep upgrading. controllers are easier to use etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ayesc0tty89 View Post
    It's why I like console. don't have to worry about having to keep upgrading..
    but you need to buy a whole new console to play the latest game. on pc you can often just reduce quality and it will still run on older machine. or you upgrade the GPU only. wouldn't that cause smaller upgrade price? if nothing else it might be easier on the environment.

i am using 16 years old PC to play new games. ok i can't play all, but many do work just fine. still i am thinking it might be time to make the jump and get a Ryezn 5 or i5 and fill it up with ram. then maybe get a new GPU later on.

would you be able to play any of the new games using PS1 or 2?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

but you need to buy a whole new console to play the latest game. on pc you can often just reduce quality and it will still run on older machine. or you upgrade the GPU only. wouldn't that cause smaller upgrade price? if nothing else it might be easier on the environment.

i am using 16 years old PC to play new games. ok i can't play all, but many do work just fine. still i am thinking it might be time to make the jump and get a Ryezn 5 or i5 and fill it up with ram. then maybe get a new GPU later on.

would you be able to play any of the new games using PS1 or 2?
    The cost of PC parts to play at 4K would probably cost more than £450 which is what the price of next-gen consoles are.
    I've had my PS4 since launch date and still plays all games I throw at it.

You're right, though; the PS1/PS2 couldn't play new games and no one would expect it to either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

actually you can get RTX for less than 300 EUR and that one should be able to play games on 4K. or maybe the RTX2070 is needed for 4K? New 3000 series and AMD big navi will star at arround that price too. as same cards will be in PS and Xbox consoles.

Anyway 4K games need a lot of disk space for textures. that can easily be added on PC, not sure where consoles currently are. you can also add more ram, change CPU... with PC you can strengthen it where you want strength. and you can do other things on it besides gaming, so extra cost is sometimes logical.

it was good to see ps4 consoles prices drop, but the game prices are still the same even though it is for quite old games. at the same time on PC, prices for older models (CPU, GPU) are also slashed and older games are often sold at much lower price. who would pay 50 EUR for 5 year old game? 8 EUR on sale is another matter?

consoles on the other hand are more convenient if you just want to play games or watch media. but then again with SteamOS and some controllers added and a bit of effort you can get to similar effect.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

actually you can get RTX for less than 300 EUR and that one should be able to play games on 4K. or maybe the RTX2070 is needed for 4K? New 3000 series and AMD big navi will star at arround that price too. as same cards will be in PS and Xbox consoles.
    The GTX 3070 is "supposed" to retail for $499.99. Pending inventory, of course.

Anyway 4K games need a lot of disk space for textures. that can easily be added on PC, not sure where consoles currently are. you can also add more ram, change CPU... with PC you can strengthen it where you want strength. and you can do other things on it besides gaming, so extra cost is sometimes logical.
    4K textures actually make a big difference, even when playing at 1080p. Check out some of the Skyrim Mods.

it was good to see ps4 consoles prices drop, but the game prices are still the same even though it is for quite old games. at the same time on PC, prices for older models (CPU, GPU) are also slashed and older games are often sold at much lower price. who would pay 50 EUR for 5 year old game? 8 EUR on sale is another matter?
    This is what causes the "All Hail Steam" mentality. I have about 150 games in my library, and I haven't paid over $20 for any of them.

consoles on the other hand are more convenient if you just want to play games or watch media. but then again with SteamOS and some controllers added and a bit of effort you can get to similar effect.
    I think that's where I am headed. Having a high-powered PC may put you a 10 on a scale of 10, but the consoles have now caught up to the 7 / 8 / 9 (almost) out of 10. And in order to be at the 10 out of 10 level, you need an $799 video card... or more. However, Nintendo has proven time and time again, that it's not always about having the most power, it's about the titles. Mario and Zelda have proven this time after time.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

I didn't expect to see a debate: PC vs Console "next gen" on a linux forum. At the time, a PC with a simple 3Dfx was already more powerful than a common playstation, a Geforce 256, faster than a PS2. Consumer machines will always lag behind the Ryzen 5 / RTX 20/30, but with an Nvidia GPU we can do both deep learning and 3D rendering.

It is also, a false debate, a Linux station, it is also, it is the descendant of the SUN, SGI or NeXT stations, work, still and always work

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by remy-wehrung View Post
    I didn't expect to see a debate: PC vs Console "next gen" on a linux forum. At the time, a PC with a simple 3Dfx was already more powerful than a common playstation, a Geforce 256, faster than a PS2. Consumer machines will always lag behind the Ryzen 5 / RTX 20/30, but with an Nvidia GPU we can do both deep learning and 3D rendering.

It is also, a false debate, a Linux station, it is also, it is the descendant of the SUN, SGI or NeXT stations, work, still and always work
    You make a good point here. I have often wondered why console games (in certain respects), tend to look better and out perform a PC with the same specs.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

This is called optimization: a limited and known hardware, having only software updates (me having known the period 8/16 bits is heresy) allow to do things that a PC "brut" is difficult to do, on the contrary, we can not ask too much either: I refer you to Cyberpunk 2077 or the PS4 spit their vicars for a Wii rendering, a console is made to play, a PC for work and play

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by remy-wehrung View Post
    This is called optimization: a limited and known hardware, having only software updates (me having known the period 8/16 bits is heresy) allow to do things that a PC "brut" is difficult to do, on the contrary, we can not ask too much either: I refer you to Cyberpunk 2077 or the PS4 spit their vicars for a Wii rendering, a console is made to play, a PC for work and play
    Yeah, that definitely makes it easier to optimize.

It's also misrepresentation.

The XBox One actually renders internally at 1280x720(ish) depending on the game. The PS4 renders at 1600x900(ish). They both make the claim that they run at 1080p. Which they techincally do. But that's not the actual game rendering. It's just the video output, which apparently is upscaled, the same way the old HD Upscaling DVD players worked.

Apparently the consoles are capable of actually rendering the game at 1080p, but it causes a severe dip in FPS. This is what causes the developer to either render at a lower resolution, "letterbox" the game, or lock the frame rate in at 30fps.

In other words... it's all smoke and mirrors.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast