Thread: Fresh install ubuntu 20.04 fails on Zenbook: Initramfs unpacking failed

Beans

Fresh install ubuntu 20.04 fails on Zenbook: Initramfs unpacking failed

I just got a new zenbook and went straight for a fresh ubuntu 20.04 install. I get the message that initramfs unpacking failed.
    I search a bit and found this is a known issue and that I need to update "update-initramfs" using gzip instead of lz.

How do I do this on a machine that has no OS? I have no terminal. It concerns a fresh install.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Fresh install ubuntu 20.04 fails on Zenbook: Initramfs unpacking failed

I am a bit surprised, it seems 20.04 is not the latest stable release. 18.04 is. I installed this and when I tried to upgrade I got the message not to install 20.04 on production machines. Admtited, that is informative but then why does this message not appear on the normal download page. Not a complaint, more a determination.

Anyway, although I could install it since now I have a terminal I kept 18.04 and just stick with the one-but-last LTS.

Beans

No, 20.04 is the latest stable and was released in April 2020. The next release is due out next month and will be Ubuntu 20.10. Can you see the pattern

Did you MD5 test the ISO you downloaded or use torrents to download the ISO?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

20.04 is the latest stable release. The upgrade path from 18.04 to 20.04 hasn't been released yet (it seems); that's why it's recommended not to upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 on a production system.