Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change default position of Chinese language candidate selection bar

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Change default position of Chinese language candidate selection bar

I am using iBUS for Mandarin language in web pages on my XFCE desktop. The web pages are either in Firefox or Chrome.

The candidate selection bar is at the bottom of the web page by default when I type.

Being at the bottom whilst I am typing in the web page address bar is a pain. I would like to have the selection bar in a place more convenient.

I know I can drag the bar to any place but as most of the work I do involves web pages it would be more convenient to lock it in a location I choose.

Is this possible?

The only options available as far as I can see is to have the bar horizontal or vertical.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Change default position of Chinese language candidate selection bar

I have only just learned about these ..

https://beebom.com/google-chrome-flags/

but I don't see them in my Chromium browser.

Something like these might help? Or you might use X-tile to position two windows?

[P.S.] If in chrome://flags you search "Reader" there are some language accessibility options I see.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; September 14th, 2020 at 07:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    I have only just learned about these ..

https://beebom.com/google-chrome-flags/

but I don't see them in my Chromium browser.
    I looked for Google Lens but didn't find it.

Something like these might help? Or you might use X-tile to position two windows?

[P.S.] If in chrome://flags you search "Reader" there are some language accessibility options I see.
    I will look into your suggestions, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Nothing worked there

The popup candidate box appears tied to the bottom left of the current window.

I fail to see why the ability of being able to drag it to a suitable position is of any use when as soon as you type another character it reverts to the bottom of the window. I feel there must be an ability to make it stick via a menu but I cannot find any menu or preferences that offer this.
    Last edited by makem2; September 16th, 2020 at 01:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have used AutoKey recently in similar scenarios.
    Basically create a phrase which is the URL you would like to type into a field.
    Assign some hot key to this phrase.
    Place the cursor in the URL field (awaiting the URL to be typed).
    Then use methods other than mouse/cursor to get to your language selection bar.
    When you hit the assigned hot key your URL will be typed into URLfield.

Another approach is to use Actiona to write a GUI automation script.
    This script is run by command .. actexec myscript.ascr

Can you provide an example of a problem page otherwise we are guessing?
    Last edited by dragonfly41; September 16th, 2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added Actiona option

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have used AutoKey recently in similar scenarios.
    Basically create a phrase which is the URL you would like to type into a field.
    Assign some hot key to this phrase.
    Place the cursor in the URL field (awaiting the URL to be typed).
    Then use methods other than mouse/cursor to get to your language selection bar.
    When you hit the assigned hot key your URL will be typed into URLfield.

Another approach is to use Actiona to write a GUI automation script.
    This script is run by command .. actexec myscript.ascr

Can you provide an example of a problem page otherwise we are guessing?
    I think I may need to explain the input of Mandarin on for example, a web page:

When you being to type the pinyin text for a Mandarin character a small window pops up. In this window are a number of suggestions as to which character you need (predictive characters). In our case we have selected that a choice of 5 characters are shown (can be a larger selection if desired). Each suggestion is given a number 1 > and you select which character you want to be typed on the web page address bar,

For example: 'ni' would produce selections to choose from. If you then type 'hao' and make a choice you would have 好. (How are you or hello)

This is normal when typing Manadarin using a Chinese input such as Sogu. This occurs because Mandarin pinyin has some 5 meanings for each and you need to select the correct meaning.

So, the popup window I am talking about is the 'choices' window and it is needed, not spurious. What I find is a problem is, as I am typing in an address bar near the top of the screen my choice of character appears at the bottom of the screen, some distance away from the cursor I am looking at.

This 'choices' window can be moved around the screen but is never locked where placed. It always defaults to bottom left of the screen for every character choice.

I don't think a screen shot would help (I don't have anywhere to put it) and it is a moving target.

If a Chinese speaker reads this, my apologies if my explanation is not totally correct, but it is the way I as an English speaker, see it.
    Last edited by makem2; September 17th, 2020 at 09:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I cannot write/speak in Mandarin and I am simply treating this problem as an interesting UI exercise.

I may learn something new as I attempt this.

From your explanation there is a multichoice box offering 5 choices as you type in each character

My confusion is why you need to be typing into the browser url field at the same time as you use the multiple choice box?

Are you typing Mandarin into the top url field and so each character in the url requires reference to 5 choices at the bottom left of the screen? Thus you are hopping around the screen for each character? Is my interpretation correct?

[P.S.] Found this when browsing around to understand the subject.

http://chinesebrowser.com/
    Last edited by dragonfly41; September 17th, 2020 at 10:34 PM. Reason: chinesebrowser.com

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I cannot write/speak in Mandarin and I am simply treating this problem as an interesting UI exercise.

I may learn something new as I attempt this.

From your explanation there is a multichoice box offering 5 choices as you type in each character

My confusion is why you need to be typing into the browser url field at the same time as you use the multiple choice box?

Are you typing Mandarin into the top url field and so each character in the url requires reference to 5 choices at the bottom left of the screen? Thus you are hopping around the screen for each character? Is my interpretation correct
    [P.S.] Found this when browsing around to understand the subject.

http://chinesebrowser.com/

Are you typing Mandarin into the top url field and so each character in the url requires reference to 5 choices at the bottom left of the screen? Thus you are hopping around the screen for each character? Is my interpretation correct?
    Yes!

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ip4VjlD7Ew

The choices which popup below the word 'wo' (me) are the ones to which I refer. Mine popup as I have said, a long way from the cursor.
    Last edited by makem2; September 18th, 2020 at 12:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

In that tutorial link I do not see an example of your "lower left screen drop box with 5 choices".

Meanwhile read here.

and here (from above thread).

If these threads do not help there are UI manipulation ways of bringing your multi choice box nearer your target data field.
    But that should not be necessary in a well designed UI.

Also perhaps research Pinyin concordance tools (linguistics tools).

[P.S] Further tips ..

research in google .. "Figma near Pinyin"

and .. "Pinyin NEAR SVG typography"

https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/artic...nts--cms-23444
    Last edited by dragonfly41; September 18th, 2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: further tips

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I will read up on those but in the meantime, yes the link does not show the popup going to the bottom, it shows where I would like it to be and where it is when using Windows. However the software they use is not available to me on Linux.

The link was to show you the popup in use only and why it is necessary.

Later I will get to the machine on which the Chinese language is used and will post a screenshot together with the software information in use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast