Thread: Virtualbox Lubuntu boots to a black screen- please help

Beans

Virtualbox Lubuntu boots to a black screen- please help

I was using my Lubuntu 20.04 virtualbox guest OS just this morning and it was running fine. I attempted to install an update, I remember it said there was some error with installing it but I can't recall exactly what it said.

I then rebooted the OS, it opens to the password screen for LUKS, then I can see the Lubuntu logo loading for a few seconds, then it goes to a black screen and all I can see is the cursor on the screen. I tried rebooting the OS 20 times, rebooting my laptop, increasing the video memory of the guest, and even exported the OVA, importing again, but nothing seems to work.

What might the problem be and how can I go about fixing it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Virtualbox Lubuntu boots to a black screen- please help

Quote Originally Posted by adi50 View Post
    I attempted to install an update, I remember it said there was some error with installing it but I can't recall exactly what it said.
    What were you trying to update - kernel perhaps? For future troubleshooting, it would be extremely helpful if you had the error message, since people's ability to help you is drastically reduced when not knowing what the error was.

Can you enter the GRUB menu and choose a different kernel, or boot into recovery mode?
    Last edited by ameinild; September 14th, 2020 at 01:50 PM.

Beans

OK I was able to get to the menu to boot into recovery mode or into an old kernel. I tried booting into an old kernel with no success, same black screen. Booting into recovery mode- I can get to the list of options- resume, clean, dpkg, etc. Upon pressing resume it just takes me to the black screen again. I don't know what I should do with the other options if that is where there solution lies, any further advice?
    Last edited by adi50; September 14th, 2020 at 02:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by adi50 View Post
    OK I was able to get to the menu to boot
    Any useful information if you boot latest kernel without quiet splash parameters?
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    When your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."