Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Beans
    6

    Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    Hi everybody how are you? a question, I have ubuntu in version 20.04, I wanted to know how to install the drivers for my gpu, I have an apu a6-7480 r5 series. Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ozarks, Arkansas, USA
    Beans
    13,680
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    cheloxnz; Hello - Welcome to the forum.

    What leads you to the assumption that you need to manually install a graphic's driver ?
    In most cases the drivers are included in the kernel.

    Post back - between code tags - the output of terminal command:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C display
    And we see here what story gets told - and go from there.

    all in the process
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

    Happy ubuntu'n !

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    21,392
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    Code:
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    I think amd drivers are automatic. Intel are. nVidia works wth the command above.

    Don't go looking to manually install drivers outside the packaging system without very good reason. There are long term ramifications.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    At install time, if the installer detects a supported AMD GPU, the amdgpu driver will be "installed" -- actually, the existing module in the kernel will be used. If the hardware is not supported by amdgpu, the existing radeon kernel module will be used.

    You need do nothing more when installing on a machine with AMD graphices, provided it is not a hybrid graphics setup with Intel and AMD graphics hardware. That is not supported well by the industry and the Linux developers are left to drown. The correct AMD module is loaded, but the AMD module and the Intel module may be at odds.

    Would you please use the terminal and post the results of

    Code:
    lsmod | grep amdgpu
    and

    Code:
    lsmod | grep radeon
    The first queries the system to see if the amdgpu module is loaded. The second queries the system to see if the radeon module is loaded.

    lsmod lists the loaded modules. That is piped to 'grep', which is the commend for global regular expression print. That will list modules related to amdgpu or radeon.
    Last edited by QIII; September 12th, 2020 at 03:24 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Beans
    6

    Re: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    cheloxnz; Hello - Welcome to the forum.

    What leads you to the assumption that you need to manually install a graphic's driver ?
    In most cases the drivers are included in the kernel.

    Post back - between code tags - the output of terminal command:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C display
    And we see here what story gets told - and go from there.
    all in the process
    The problem is that I have 2 monitors, in windows they worked perfectly for me, I have windows and ubuntu, I start windows and both work perfectly, I start ubuntu and only one works. One is connected by HDMI and the other VGA. And I thought maybe they flataban drivers.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Code:
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    I think amd drivers are automatic. Intel are. nVidia works wth the command above.

    Don't go looking to manually install drivers outside the packaging system without very good reason. There are long term ramifications.
    Yes, I thought that, but as I mentioned above, due to the non-functioning of a monitor. Thank you



    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    At install time, if the installer detects a supported AMD GPU, the amdgpu driver will be "installed" -- actually, the existing module in the kernel will be used. If the hardware is not supported by amdgpu, the existing radeon kernel module will be used.

    You need do nothing more when installing on a machine with AMD graphices, provided it is not a hybrid graphics setup with Intel and AMD graphics hardware. That is not supported well by the industry and the Linux developers are left to drown. The correct AMD module is loaded, but the AMD module and the Intel module may be at odds.

    Would you please use the terminal and post the results of

    Code:
    lsmod | grep amdgpu
    and

    Code:
    lsmod | grep radeon
    The first queries the system to see if the amdgpu module is loaded. The second queries the system to see if the radeon module is loaded.

    lsmod lists the loaded modules. That is piped to 'grep', which is the commend for global regular expression print. That will list modules related to amdgpu or radeon.
    Last edited by cheloxnz; September 12th, 2020 at 03:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    21,392
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    Please copy/paste text. Don't post images.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Beans
    6

    Re: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Please copy/paste text. Don't post images.
    Code:
    cheloxnz@chelo:~$ lsmod | grep amdgpu
    amdgpu               4579328  0
    amd_iommu_v2           20480  1 amdgpu
    gpu_sched              32768  1 amdgpu
    ttm                   106496  1 amdgpu
    drm_kms_helper        184320  1 amdgpu
    i2c_algo_bit           16384  1 amdgpu
    drm                   491520  4 gpu_sched,drm_kms_helper,amdgpu,ttm
    cheloxnz@chelo:~$ lsmod | grep radeon
    cheloxnz@chelo:~$

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    21,392
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    And the other requested command outputs?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Beans
    6

    Re: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    And the other requested command outputs?
    Yes.
    Code:
    cheloxnz@chelo:~$ sudo lshw -C display
    [sudo] password for cheloxnz: 
      *-display UNCLAIMED       
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
           vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
           physical id: 1
           bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
           version: e6
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d07fffff ioport:f000(size=256) memory:feb00000-feb3ffff memory:c0000-dffff
    cheloxnz@chelo:~$ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    No drivers found for installation.
    cheloxnz@chelo:~$

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    21,392
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Help with GPU drivers in ubuntu

    Sorry, I don't have any systems with AMD GPUs, but

    nvidia ($70):
    Code:
    $ sudo lshw -C display
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: GP108 [GeForce GT 1030]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
           version: a1
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:85 memory:f5000000-f5ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff
    nvidia 430 GT that is failing. It has been dying a few months. Think it was $30 about 9-10 yrs ago.
    Code:
               *-generic:0
                    description: Unassigned class
                    product: Illegal Vendor ID
                    vendor: Illegal Vendor ID
                    physical id: 0
                    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                    version: ff
                    width: 32 bits
                    clock: 66MHz
                    capabilities: bus_master vga_palette cap_list rom
                    configuration: driver=nvidia latency=255 maxlatency=255 mingnt=255
                    resources: irq:16 memory:fa000000-faffffff memory:d8000000-dfffffff memory:d6000000-d7ffffff ioport:ac00(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff
    KVM/QEMU Virtual Machine:
    Code:
    $ sudo lshw -C display
      *-display                 
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: QXL paravirtual graphic card
           vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 04
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: vga_controller rom
           configuration: driver=qxl latency=0
           resources: irq:10 memory:f4000000-f7ffffff memory:f8000000-fbffffff memory:fc058000-fc059fff ioport:c0c0(size=32) memory:c0000-dffff
    Intel iGPU from Pentium G3258 CPU ($50 new):
    Code:
    $ sudo lshw -C display
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 06
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:29 memory:f7400000-f77fffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
    The fact that no driver is being shown for the AMD on your system is concerning. Need to wait for someone with an AMD GPU to respond, it seems. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •