Thread: Boot Stick not Recognized - older UEFI only laptop...

Beans

Unhappy Boot Stick not Recognized - older UEFI only laptop...

An old laptop that's very light weight (atom/2g/32g) would be just dandy for navigation on my sailboat, and no tears if it gets wet.

Both CloneZilla and Fedora-32 worked "out of the box" with only a boot override (Secure Boot disabled, USB emulates Hard Drive). Fedora also installed, but as a long-time 16.04 user, I just don't get along with Fedora's look and feel.

So - I've tried 16.04 and 18.04 using this tutorial: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...ows#1-overview

Neither were able to boot. Boot override in setup both just returned to setup. Both were tried a second time with Rufus set to GPT with the same result.

Earlier in this quest, I also tried Debian and Mint both with Rufus and using Fedora to dd if=xxx.iso of=/dev/sda - all with the same negative result.

So guys, what am I missing? This should be easy.

Will
    p.s. 16.04 live was also fine on an old Satellite, but 18.04 had no cursor/touchpad.
    (wiping the blood off my forehead and the wall)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Boot Stick not Recognized - older UEFI only laptop...

Quote Originally Posted by taiowa View Post
    An old laptop that's very light weight (atom/2g/32g) would be just dandy for navigation on my sailboat, and no tears if it gets wet.

Both CloneZilla and Fedora-32 worked "out of the box" with only a boot override (Secure Boot disabled, USB emulates Hard Drive). Fedora also installed, but as a long-time 16.04 user, I just don't get along with Fedora's look and feel.
    Can you let us know the make, model and age of the laptop?