Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tor Browser Installation Issue

Beans

Tor Browser Installation Issue

Hey all, hello again! A new issue as expected.

I installed Tor browser. I first tried installing it through the terminal. However, when I clicked on 'Install Tor Browser' through the Tor Browser Launcher, it got stuck on 'Verifying Signatures'. I then downloaded it directly from the website and 'Extract Here' etc. I followed a Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNV7jkV5ls (I hope posting links is ok? Please let me know if it's not)

Anyway, the second method has worked. However, now there are two Tor Browser icons in the application list. One works just fine. The other brings up the same installation box. A popup shows up saying Ubuntu experienced an error and the installation is once again stuck at Verifying Signatures. How do I get rid of this defective Tor Icon?

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Tor Browser Installation Issue

Maybe you can try to uninstall the defective installation.

Beans

the defective one was installed through terminal right?
    so just remove/purge it through terminal again?

Beans

Tor browser doesn't need installation, just download the bundle, extract and click the binary, that's it.

To remove the defective one, where is it installed? You can probably just delete the folder.

Beans

The defective one was installed through the terminal, yes. I would be happy to uninstall it through the terminal as suggested, however I am unaware of the commands. -.-

Just to clarify again; Tor IS working for me now guys, I was able to get it working by downloading directly from the website. So essentially I now have 2 Tor icons in the applications list. Just trying to figure out how to get rid of the defective one.

Really appreciate your responses so far! Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What commands have you used to install? " installed through the terminal" is meaningless, you can do all sorts of things. How it was installed determines how it can be uninstalled.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    What commands have you used to install? " installed through the terminal" is meaningless, you can do all sorts of things. How it was installed determines how it can be uninstalled.
    My apologies. I checked the commands history and this is the command I used:

sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher

Went to applications and launched the Tor Browser Launcher. The installation began but got stuck on Verifying Signatures. I then went the other route to install it. I hope this brings more clarity.

Beans

sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher
    to remove then
    Code:
    sudo apt remove torbrowser-launcher

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    to remove then
    Code:
    sudo apt remove torbrowser-launcher
    That did it. Thank you!

Beans

Would "purge" (as in sudo apt purge torbrowser-launcher) be a better option if you wanted to start reinstalling it from scratch though?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast