Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical power draws for multiple desktops, amplifier, a/c etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Electrical power draws for multiple desktops, amplifier, a/c etc.

I've got a number of desktop computers, amplifiers, a/c etc. that have grown up over the years in my office.

Is there any right way to distribute these things across the office/room wiring system to minimize load problems?

Are there any power strips / circuit breaker systems that are designed to handle things like this?

I've got plenty of routine power strips in my current setup, but it's pretty much a mish mash and I'm thinking I need to do something to improve things.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Electrical power draws for multiple desktops, amplifier, a/c etc.

Moved this to the cafe as it isn't really a Ubuntu question.

As for your question, it depends on the wiring of your house. If you overload the circuit the circuit breakers will trip.

Are you running into issues where the breakers are tripping or are you seeing other issues?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Moved this to the cafe as it isn't really a Ubuntu question.

As for your question, it depends on the wiring of your house. If you overload the circuit the circuit breakers will trip.

Are you running into issues where the breakers are tripping or are you seeing other issues?
    No issues yet, just a mish mash of power wiring to various devices that I want to get better organized with some improved safety features. This is probably a common issue, but I haven't found much in the way of equipment or advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This is probably total overkill, but there are pretty advanced power rails with LED displays and breakers built-in...

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-PD..._t4_B07G3DRY8Q

This is a little less overkill:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-11...dp/B00193ODWS/ or https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-20...324011-1167143

And if you have 3-phase 400V power output, something like this that splits in to 3 phases with separate displays: (this is for EU though)

https://www.thomann.de/dk/botex_psa_...ibutor_16a.htm

I'm just throwing in some crazy ideas!
    Last edited by ameinild; September 10th, 2020 at 06:16 PM.

Beans

The a/c should be on it's own separate circuit, don't plug something else with it. Would need to know how the outlets are connected in the room, all on same circuit, or have some on a different circuit from the others(one circuit breaker goes off is everything dead). In N.A. a 15amp circuit(not each outlet on circuit) can carry ~1500w. Most stuff will have how many watts they use, add them up to see how much a circuit carries, would want less than full circuit capacity.
    Last edited by crip720; September 10th, 2020 at 07:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ameinild View Post
    This is probably total overkill, but there are pretty advanced power rails with LED displays and breakers built-in...

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-PD..._t4_B07G3DRY8Q
    That looks really fancy!

I've got a Kill a Watt that I use for measuring power usage per device or per power strip. It's actually fairly cheap, but it can be a bit hard to read if it's stuffed behind a desk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've got a Kill a Watt that I use for measuring power
    I use something similar myself to measure power. In addition I use this, which is also overkill regarding the fuses:

https://www.thomann.de/dk/the_t.racks_ms6.htm

But I use it mainly for the front switches, so I can cycle the power of my networking gear from the front panel if necessary.

Beans

May not be the "best" technology but I religiously run every desktop computer with a UPS. Each UPS is dedicated to one computer and its monitors on the battery, peripherals on the UPS surge protector. I have an old APC that has seen three battery swap outs and it still has saved us from multiple power outages and surges. Even a smaller unit is better than direct wall/surge protector connections.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    May not be the "best" technology but I religiously run every desktop computer with a UPS. Each UPS is dedicated to one computer and its monitors on the battery, peripherals on the UPS surge protector. I have an old APC that has seen three battery swap outs and it still has saved us from multiple power outages and surges. Even a smaller unit is better than direct wall/surge protector connections.
    I do the same. Just be sure to test them regularly - they are useless if they have bad batteries.

Beans
    Distro

>May not be the "best" technology but I religiously run every desktop computer with a UPS<

Very necessary for a place with a lot of lightening, and/or a power company that sends a lot of power spikes down the line - both in my case.
    My system has redundant circuit breakers beyond the APC UPS unit.

>
    I do the same. Just be sure to test them regularly - they are useless if they have bad batteries.<

Right- easy test is to pull the UPS wall power plug and see your system is still running.

Last edited by ra7411; September 12th, 2020 at 06:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast