Thread: Request for video recording help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Request for video recording help

Hi Forum People,

At age 104 I've been asked to make four brief (approx 20 seconds) videos of myself saying a few lines out of newspaper.

THen, they want me to glue those 4 videos together ... one after the other ... to make a single video... in a commonly use video format.

I want to use my old laptop that has built in web cam and speaker.

How can I do this. I don't have any idea!

Help!

Thanks!
    Old JImma form the Old Country

Beans

Re: Request for video recording help

I always go back to kdenlive for video editing. No video editors are easy to use, but some are much worse than others.

How to record the clips in the first place - there are various options - even Zoom can be used to record a clip.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

For simplicity I suggest guvcview to record and save your clips but the joining is more difficult.

Kdenlive will do though I prefer Openshot, and ffmpeg can also do it using command line, though you may prefer a GUI.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; September 8th, 2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Typos from Android autocorrection

Beans

Cheese can record videos: https://help.gnome.org/users/cheese/...record.html.en

I picked up KDEnlive when I had to caption a recorded session from Zoom. Took an hour or two to sort it all out, though I think if you're just concatenating video clips, it should be pretty easy.

ffmpeg can also do this from the command prompt with its concatenate command: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate That page has some complicated solutions, but the simplest method is to put the filenames in a text file as the first example demonstrates. The example uses .wav files, but it should work fine with videos in a standard container format like .mp4, .mkv, or .webm. Cheese now creates its files using .webm.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; September 8th, 2020 at 04:22 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

i once used Openshot to join some vids together ,wasn't too difficult. Just need to play around a bit with it.

Beans

BTW, you could simply concatenate the clips with cat. The player may have a hiccup at the joint, or it may not. It very much depends on the error handling of the player.

Most of them will carry on playing smoothly:

$ cat file1.mp4 > filenew.mp4
    $ cat file2.mp4 >> filenew.mp4
    $ cat file3.mp4 >> filenew.mp4

One > means make a new file.
    Two >> means append to the end of the file.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    BTW, you could simply concatenate the clips with cat. The player may have a hiccup at the joint, or it may not. It very much depends on the error handling of the player.

Most of them will carry on playing smoothly:

$ cat file1.mp4 > filenew.mp4
    $ cat file2.mp4 >> filenew.mp4
    $ cat file3.mp4 >> filenew.mp4

One > means make a new file.
    Two >> means append to the end of the file.
    I tried this Herman but could not get the output files to play using anything.

It certainly managed to create a new file of just about the size I would expect, ie adding the two sizes together, but VLC, mplayer, parole, all of those showed no output at all when I tried to play the joined files.