Thread: Intel WiFi Link 5100 Slow Internet, Ubuntu 16.04 (After Upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04)

Beans

Intel WiFi Link 5100 Slow Internet, Ubuntu 16.04 (After Upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04)

Hi,

I've been encountering some Wi-Fi slowdown issue after updating my Ubuntu from 14.04 to 16.04.

It works just fine on other devices and operating systems (Android, Windows, Ubuntu 14.04), so I know that the Internet connection is fine.

I've tried changing the setting of gai.conf so that it would prioritize IPV4 vs. IPV6 (by uncommenting the "precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100" line), and also disabling 11n, but to no avail.

Here is the content of my wireless-info file:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/b8W4WMW89v/

Thanks, and I would appreciate the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by embargiel; September 7th, 2020 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Intel WiFi Link 5100 Slow Internet, Ubuntu 16.04 (After Upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04

Try this in terminal and reboot
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/intel_11n_disable.conf
    echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
    Last edited by jeremy31; September 7th, 2020 at 08:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Intel WiFi Link 5100 Slow Internet, Ubuntu 16.04 (After Upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04

In addition to Jeremy's excellent suggestion, I recommend that you also undertake the usual, well-known Intel wireless tweaks.

First, check the settings in the router. WPA2-AES is preferred; not any WPA and WPA2 mixed mode and certainly not TKIP. Second, if your router is capable of N speeds, you may have better connectivity with a channel width of 20 MHz in the 2.4 GHz band instead of automatic 20/40 MHz, although it is likely to affect N speeds. I also have better luck with a fixed channel, either 1, 6 or 11, rather than automatic channel selection. Also, be certain the router is not set to use N speeds only; auto B, G and N is preferred. After making these changes, reboot the router.

Then set your regulatory domain explicitly. Check yours:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg get
    If you get 00, that is a one-size-maybe-fits-all setting. Find yours here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2 Then set it temporarily:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg set IS
    Of course, substitute your country code if not Iceland. Set it permanently:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/crda
    Change the last line to read:
    Code:
    REGDOMAIN=IS
    Proofread carefully, save (Ctrl+o followed by Enter) and close (Ctrl+x) the text editor.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi,

Thank you very much for your responses.

I tried both of your suggestions (11n_disable and also default/crda to point to my country code), and unfortunately, they didn't seem to help.

Note that I have not made any changes to my router settings, and the connection was fine with other devices and operating systems (such as Windows, Android, or even Ubuntu 14.04 before I updated it to 16.04 yesterday).

I'm providing the new wireless-info:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/7dd4B4m3HZ/

Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance and I truly appreciate your help.

Beans
    Distro

It seems we forgot about disabling wifi power management, do this and reboot
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf

Beans

I tried that and unfortunately, it still didn't fix it.

For example, I still wasn't able to consistently run the 'Software Updater' without it running into the connection warning.

Thank you.

Beans

Any other ideas?

The slowdown still persists, and I've tried everything that was suggested, and I even tried using a different connection (such tethering from my Android phone).

Here is the latest pastebin from running the wireless-info script

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/JQBQfpwBZn/

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Go into Network Manager settings and set IPv6 to off or ignore