Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32-bit options for Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

32-bit options for Ubuntu

Hi,

I've been combing through Ubuntu and so far I can see 32-bit is no longer supported. I have a bunch of old but still working computers which I would like to put Ubuntu on so they are usable when I donate them.

Is there a documentation/guide out there which I could follow to compile Ubuntu manually as 32-bit?

Beans

Re: 32-bit options for Ubuntu

I would suggest that you install either Slackware or OpenBSD for the best 32 bit support.

The trouble is that if you make a bespoke version of Ubuntu, then you are not really doing the new user a favour, since he won't be able to install any other software. So a new user would have to reinstall the machine again anyway.

Beans

About the only ubuntu favours still supported for 32bit would 18.04 Lubuntu or similar, but they will be coming out of support next year I think and will be finish also. Can also try some of the small Linuxs made for old computers. Ubuntu seems to be dropping all support for 32bit computers, so you will not be able to upgrade from 18.04 anyway when support ends.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Forget any of the Ubuntu family as there are only 7 months of support left for Lubuntu 18.04, the only 32bit system still in support.

In your situation I would move to another distro as mentioned above, but would also add Debian 10 Testing to the suggestions, which I am using on an old Netbook with:-
    CPU: Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
    Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1067.00 MHz
    Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
    X.Org: 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.5.9

It's fairly slow but certainly usable for web-browsing using epiphany-browser, email using geary, and music using audacious. I don't use libreoffice on it as it's far too large and slow, so I install abiword and gnumeric instead. Low resolution videos play with VLC but any HD is pushing the hardware just a bit too much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by marklopez9 View Post
    I have a bunch of old but still working computers which I would like to put Ubuntu on so they are usable when I donate them.
    how old are these computers? 15+ years old? netbooks with Atoms? old Pentiums? why would you donate these instead of recycle them? they use a lot of energy and really are (usually) in configuration too slow for even modern web browsing. I mean people are donating or selling cheap first gen core i generation which support 64 bit and can be usable at least in some ways.

Since AMD64 one can use 64 bit OS. i use an old single core 16 years old PC. and it is only good (for my every day use) due to configuration i made and upgrade it received. it also has 64bit CPU.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    I would suggest that you install either Slackware or OpenBSD for the best 32 bit support.
    Thanks. I've heard of OpenBSD but didn't know they still support 32-bit (perhaps because I was focused at Linux options only). I'll check it out to see if it works for my intended purpose.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    how old are these computers? 15+ years old? netbooks with Atoms? old Pentiums? why would you donate these instead of recycle them? they use a lot of energy and really are (usually) in configuration too slow for even modern web browsing.
    They are netbooks with Atoms. The batteries are dead but the power adapters still work, so they are still fairly usable when plugged in to a power source. Since they are netbooks, they won't be much of a power hog so no pain done on the recipient's end as far as their utility bill is concerned.

I'm planning on donating them both for charitable causes and to promote learning/using Linux here in my country.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

A number of flavors supported x86/32-bit for 18.04; however only Xubuntu and Lubuntu continued past then (releasing 18.10, but only alpha build of 19.04, which was supported it's fully life with packages should you have installed). Either way, only 18.04 remains supported being an LTS release.

I tested a number of flavors of the recent 18.04.5 (http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2020/08/14/...-lts-released/) flavors on x86 pentium 4 desktops, pentium M laptops (even a celeron desktop) which were all 2003 or newer, and only x86.

They are pretty good, the lightest in my opinion is Lubuntu 18.04 LTS, however as always the apps being used can mean the lightest desktop as installed, does not end up being the lightest/fastest with that application.

I still use x86 (a thinkpad r50p, thinkpad t42p & t43).

18.04 has 5 years of support, however flavors only have 3 years, so you'll only get partial support as already stated, after April 2021.

My next choice would be straight Debian, and Debian 10 will also run on all boxes I've used for Ubuntu flavor testing (or my own use).

FYI:

I have 1x atom netbook in my list of 27 test boxes

Code:
    asus eepc 1000HE (intel atom n270, 1gb, intel mobile 945gse integrated), wireless RT2790
    It ran Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu 18.04.5, and of course Debian 10. I mention those flavors as that's all I recall testing last month; but I suspect it would have run others had I have tried (though it's likely underpowered for some and I'd opt for something lighter like what I tested).

Beans

Also available: Ubuntu MATE 18.04.5 32-bit.

I use it on my 32-bit Dell 1505 Laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Debian, from which Ubuntu derives, still supports 32-bit machines, for older hardware that requires it. Setting up the desktop to you liking can be a bit of a chore, but is eminently doable:

https://www.debian.org/

If you want something a bit more user-ready, BunsenLabs, which is basically Debian with some preconfigured software choices for a usable desktop, is a decent choice if your hardware meets the minimum specifications:

https://www.bunsenlabs.org/
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast