Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU pronounce Xfce?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

How do YOU pronounce Xfce?

Hi all,

I noticed there was an old thread from 2011 in the archives here about this topic but I wondered if the general lexicon had changed since then.

It's the pronunciation of "Xfce" or "XFCE" as in the desktop environment. Many argued on the old thread that the question itself was beyond ridiculous but just because one set of people call something one thing doesn't mean the general usage of it is the same thing.

I personally say to myself "ecks-face". For no reason. It's just what I said in my mind the very first time I ever saw "Xfce" written somewhere. However, that I know of, I have never said that out loud to anyone. The Xfce Wikipedia entry clearly says (as the first 8 words of the entire article) "Xfce or XFCE (pronounced as four individual letters)".

Several of the people on the old thread said that for years they had pronounced it "X-force" to themselves, the reason being unclear.

Another person I've heard say it out loud who should probably be considered an authority is one of the developers incorporating Xfce into MX Linux as their default DE. It's an introduction video and he says "X-F-C-E" several times. (all the 4 letters individually, the same as the Wikipedia article says).

Anyway, what're your 2 cents on it?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: How do YOU pronounce Xfce?

I spell out the letters, as it started as X Forms and CDE, and combined some of those letter (with the D for desktop being ignored; who needs it).

X Forms was always said as two words, CDE always spelt out..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

individual letters but i pronounce them in my native language.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

i say X-F-C-E , each letter individually
    only in my mind,cause if i'd say it to my friends,they wouldn't know what i'm talking about

(btw, i've hounded all my friends since i moved to linux,to try it out,but sadly they all seem stuck on win10.
    They would rather pay for an OS and then pay again for software they want ...
    Like sheep
    but that a hole nother topic lol )
    Last edited by 3nd; September 4th, 2020 at 12:01 PM.
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    i say X-F-C-E , each letter individually
    only in my mind,cause if i'd say it to my friends,they wouldn't know what i'm talking about
    I've never thought about how to pronounce Xfce because I've always figured it to be what it is a collection of letters and no more.

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    (btw, i've hounded all my friends since i moved to linux,to try it out,but sadly they all seem stuck on win10.
    They would rather pay for an OS and then pay again for software they want ...
    Like sheep
    but that a hole nother topic lol )
    Hounding people to do or try things you use and feel is a better choice isn't the best way to accomplish what you're wanting to accomplish.

Linux isn't for everyone and doesn't always do what other users want or need to do.

If you're friends are happy using Windows 10 that's great and let it be.

Most everyone I know use Windows 10 and are perfectly happy with it because it does what they want and need to do.

My family uses Windows 10 and are happy with it and Windows 10 didn't cost them anything. (Free Windows 10 Upgrade)

What works for one user may or may not work for another user and if the world is happy using Windows 10 Great.

I personally have zero complaints or problems with Windows 10 although don't really care for it much but it works.

I'm a Linux user and use several different Linux distros because it works for what I need and want to do.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I remember installing Xubuntu 9.04 for my son on an old Sony Vaio because he really loved using Tux Paint.

Beans
    Hidden!

Install espeak and run it like so:

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install espeak

espeak -v sv -p 45  -k10 -a 150 'x f c e'
    It pronounces XFCE pretty much like I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

@sudodus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't pronounce it, I just use it.
    And very good it is too!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I don't pronounce it, I just use it.
    And very good it is too!!
    Agreed. I don't say it aloud I just see 4 characters. For me, it is the most stable and lightest DE that does what I need. I spend more time thinking of kokeshi names.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast