Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't stop at grub menu

Beans

Re: Can't stop at grub menu

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Does the grub menu for opensuse appear every time you choose it? If it does, then you may consider adding an Ubuntu entry to the opensuse grub?
    +1 to doing this

Grub menus with menu entries for 2 or more OS automatically pause at the menu when you start the computer, regardless of what you have set for GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE. I am just wondering why Ubuntu's OS prober didn't add one to the menu when you ran sudo update-grub. It should have if the other disk was connected at the time.

Beans

Does the grub menu for opensuse appear every time you choose it?

If it does, then you may consider adding an Ubuntu entry to the opensuse grub?
    Yes, grub for opensuse works perfectly.

I actually used opensuse to include another OS boot entry before. Normally it has a tool called Yast2-bootloader. When you run it, it probes for other OSes and adds it to its grub entry.

Strangely, opensuse couldn't pick up ubuntu's boot entry this time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by geckojames View Post
    Yes, grub for opensuse works perfectly.

I actually used opensuse to include another OS boot entry before. Normally it has a tool called Yast2-bootloader. When you run it, it probes for other OSes and adds it to its grub entry.

Strangely, opensuse couldn't pick up ubuntu's boot entry this time.
    Well, this thread is providing some unexpected details, but we battle on with some suggestions.

In a nutshell, Opensuse doesn't pick up Ubuntu and Ubuntu doesn't pick up Opensuse.
    Together with unusual grub behaviour in Ubuntu.

Can you shut down the PC and power off. Then boot into your UEFI set up screens and alter some settings:-

• Uncheck Secure Boot
    • Uncheck Fast Boot (if checked) - somewhere in Boot > Boot Configuration as a guess.
    • Deactivate your SSD (where you have opensuse) or physically unplug the drive.
    • Save the settings
    • Boot into Ubuntu
    • Open a terminal and run sudo update-grub.

Reboot and see if the grub menu appears with the previous 10 second timer?

Beans

I claim to be the first to discover this mysterious behavior of random hidden/shown grub menu.

Findings:
    Ubuntu needs to be placed on the top of the boot sequence so that its grub should act as what's been told in the grub option. Otherwise its grub menu would be hidden.
    I noticed that opensuse however doesn't care if it's on top. I even tried to generate new grub for opensuse when it had boot not on top of the boot sequence to see if it would break opensuse's grub. It didn't.

What I still don't understand is though: ubuntu should either boot according to the grub options or not boot at all. But when it's unhappy about its boot entry position it decides to boot but not show its grub menu (using some other boot config hidden somewhere?)
    Does this behavior lead to security issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by geckojames View Post
    I claim to be the first to discover this mysterious behavior of random hidden/shown grub menu.
    Congratulations

You’ll have to wait a day or two for the hidden Grub Committee to verify your discovery.
    That will put you on top of the leaderboard in the Ubuntu/OpenSuse division.

Out of curiosity, can you put a bit of meat on the bone:-

• Your reference to boot sequence, I assume you mean the UEFI set up?
    • Ubuntu grub now appears with a working timeout and including an entry for openSuse?
    • OpenSuse grub is displayed with an entry for Ubuntu?

Security issue? - That’s a very broad question and I think you should start a new thread in the relevant forum.

Cheers

Beans

Congratulations

You’ll have to wait a day or two for the hidden Grub Committee to verify your discovery.
    That will put you on top of the leaderboard in the Ubuntu/OpenSuse division.

Out of curiosity, can you put a bit of meat on the bone:-

• Your reference to boot sequence, I assume you mean the UEFI set up?
    • Ubuntu grub now appears with a working timeout and including an entry for openSuse?
    • OpenSuse grub is displayed with an entry for Ubuntu?

Security issue? - That’s a very broad question and I think you should start a new thread in the relevant forum.

Cheers
    It is the UEFI boot sequence;Two OSes can't see each other, which I am fine with.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123