Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't stop at grub menu

Beans

Re: Can't stop at grub menu

Does ubuntu reset grub on each shutdown/boot?
    I find that the issue is that after changing "/etc/default/grub" and issuing "update-grub", grub menu can stop after the reboot.
    But,
    If I shut the pc down, and boot again, the boot menu will not be stoppable again. The updated grub has been ignored, despite the fact that my edit in "/etc/default/grub" stayed the way I made it.

Boot-repair seems to share to much info than necessary.
    Ubuntu seems to be generating a grub disregard what's in /etc/default/grub

Beans

Does ubuntu reset grub on each shutdown/boot?
    No it doesn't.

The only time settings in /etc/default/grub would change is when grub itself is upgraded with a new version, or reinstalled. That doesn't happen very often.

Don't confuse upgrading the grub package with what happens when update-grub is run. sudo update-grub only regenerates the grub menu based on the settings in /etc/default/grub and scripts in /etc/grub.d.
    Last edited by Dennis N; September 4th, 2020 at 12:04 PM.

Beans

I find that the issue is that after changing "/etc/default/grub" and issuing "update-grub", grub menu can stop after the reboot.
    But, If I shut the pc down, and boot again, the boot menu will not be stoppable again.
    I assume that by 'can stop' you mean 'does stop'? Like every time you reboot?

Reboot and power-off/power-on should act the same way as to grub menu display settings and content. I don't see an explanation at the moment for the different behavior. IF the menu also failed to display after a reboot, then booting Ubuntu through grub of another OS would be an explanation.

Note: A technical detail - the computer doesn't read /etc/default/grub when you boot up or reboot. All those settings were incorporated into /boot/grub/grub.cfg when you used the command sudo update-grub. It is actually this file which is read on each boot or reboot to get menu settings and content.

Perhaps one of the experts on this forum will offer an explanation.

Beans

I have boot the machine like 20 times already today to research the behavior of the grub menu shown/hidden. So I was wrong, there's no difference of rebooting/PC shutdown-boot.
    In fact, today the grub menu can't show and stay (but only flash), although in /etc/default/grub the style has been set as "menu" and the timeout time is 10 (no change after the change I made yesterday).
    Even if I do "update-grub", grub menu can't show.

I tried to use boot-repair, I seem to understand why my grub keeps becoming broken. Because even the boot-repair utility suggested to put my /boot and /EFI partition on /dev/sda (the first drive where opensuse is installed), but ubuntu is installed on /dev/nvmen1 (my second drive).

In short, ubuntu wants its grub to be on the first drive /dev/sda, but I installed it on the second drive /dev/nvmen0. So ubuntu somehow ignores its grub on the second drive /dev/nvmen0, and somehow mysteriously uses its own grub hidden in somewhere, or in the EFI partition that I don't understand. So my "update-grub" changed a grub which ubuntu doesn't care.
    I hope there's way to let ubuntu to not see the first drive at all.

p.s. During all this time opensuse's grub hasn't been affected, fortunately.
    Last edited by geckojames; September 4th, 2020 at 03:52 PM.

Beans

But yesterday update-grub worked a few times, making me believe that the issue has been solved. Today, grub menu becomes hidden again.

Beans

I'm not sure how you are choosing which OS to use. In post #1, I you have F2 to open a boot menu. Is that it? Then, in post #8, you mention FS0 and FS1 - what are those?

tea for one is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am also not sure what you wish to achieve.

Do you want to keep both systems completely independent and choose the OS via the boot menu (F2 according to post 1, although I have also seen F12)?

Alternatively, do you want one OS to control the boot selection via grub?

As a point of interest, the last OS installed will generally take control of grub (which is probably what has happened)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    I am also not sure what you wish to achieve.

Do you want to keep both systems completely independent and choose the OS via the boot menu (F2 according to post 1, although I have also seen F12)?

Alternatively, do you want one OS to control the boot selection via grub?

As a point of interest, the last OS installed will generally take control of grub (which is probably what has happened)
    I wouldn't mind that one grub menu can control both opensuse and ubuntu. But it seems not the case at the moment, since opensuse's grub doesn't include ubuntu entry and vice-versa. So I'm currently booting using the machine's native boot menu (F12 for Dell), and I'm OK with it.

Opensuse boots from its own efi directory /boot/EFI/leap/shim.efi. It does not try to make itself in /boot/EFI/boot/*** so it doesn't affect other OSes.

As for ubuntu its EFI partition resides on /dev/nvmen0p1, and it does contain /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi, but I feel it wants something to do with the first drive.

That all being said, the problem I'm having is that:

Ubuntu's grub menu screen is hidden from time to time. I have not found the patterns for when boot menu is gonna be hidden/shown, although I'm using the same boot entry in the Dell's F12 boot menu entry, and /etc/default/grub has been set to show grub menu screen as always. There's no explanation why grub menu screen is hidden after a random number of boots. No I didn't update the ubuntu system during these boots. Sometimes I do update-grub to try to force ubuntu to show the grub menu screen, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. /etc/default/grub has always been the same (set to show grub menu screen), but ubuntu would throw a dice to decide whether it wants to show it or not in the next boot.

My current goal is very simple: to make the grub menu screen shown, all the time.

Beans

I have tried to use the boot-repair utility from a live ubuntu session. By default it suggested that the EFI and boot be on /dev/sda (my first drive where opensuse is installed), so I changed it to the second drive /dev/nvmen0 to continue. The repair utility seemed to proceed fine but in the end it said there was an error and asked me to send an email to ***@gmail.com
    Last edited by geckojames; September 5th, 2020 at 03:10 AM. Reason: grammar

tea for one is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Does the grub menu for opensuse appear every time you choose it?

If it does, then you may consider adding an Ubuntu entry to the opensuse grub?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast