Thread: Nginx 1.14 Support on Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Nginx 1.14 Support on Ubuntu 18.04

All,
    Our vulnerability scanner has flagged nginx as being end-of-life on our Ubuntu 18.04 with a high risk factor. I do see that Nginx 1.14 is EOL on the nginx.org site, however, I wanted to check to see if Ubuntu will still be providing updates for Nginx 1.14 while Ubuntu 18.04 is supported. I could look into switching to the official PPA, however, I am concerned about the changes in configuration between the Ubuntu version in the nginx PPA version. For example, I do not believe the PPA uses the sites-avaialble and sites-enabled setup.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Nginx 1.14 Support on Ubuntu 18.04

LTS releases get security fixes backported during the support period.
    The point of an LTS is to remain feature stable and secure.

Beans

Thank you for your reply. I wanted to confirm that this included the components outside of the OS which you confirmed for me. I am going to submit a false positive for the security scanner.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jesseb81 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I wanted to confirm that this included the components outside of the OS which you confirmed for me. I am going to submit a false positive for the security scanner.
    It includes those packages that Canonical supports - not everything outside some magical list. After all, how do you define the "OS" for a system built with software from 60,000+ different teams? The packages in the Canonical repos would be the ones supported.

Use apt search for that information:
    Code:
    nginx-full/xenial-updates,xenial-security 1.10.3-0ubuntu0.16.04.5 amd64
      nginx web/proxy server (standard version)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You could also run the latest nginx with Docker.
    https://hub.docker.com/_/nginx

I would also have suggested snap, but generally server apps have poor snap support, and thus no nginx package is available.
    Last edited by ameinild; September 11th, 2020 at 12:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

FYI - On Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS, the repository shows nginx 1.18.0

You may not want to do this now but when upgrading from one OS version to another, I create a new virtual server and install all the current software needed to replace the old server. Then I modify the configurations to match the old server (not just copy old configs due to potential compatibility / feature issues). At this point, I prove or disprove that the base system on the new OS and new versions will work or not. If they work, I proceed to migrate the data over and test the end-result of the entire system running on the new OS. If it all works, I will have documented what it took and what configuration changes need to be made on the new versions and can then schedule the production system migration which is essentially the exact same process but done in a much faster time-frame and the end-result is the swap of the server IP addresses so the new production system is using the old production's IP address...so nothing on the firewall/DNS servers need to be modified for the system to work (if exposed to the Internet or internally to the local network).

LHammonds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    FYI - On Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS, the repository shows nginx 1.18.0

You may not want to do this now but when upgrading from one OS version to another, I create a new virtual server and install all the current software needed to replace the old server. Then I modify the configurations to match the old server (not just copy old configs due to potential compatibility / feature issues). At this point, I prove or disprove that the base system on the new OS and new versions will work or not. If they work, I proceed to migrate the data over and test the end-result of the entire system running on the new OS. If it all works, I will have documented what it took and what configuration changes need to be made on the new versions and can then schedule the production system migration which is essentially the exact same process but done in a much faster time-frame and the end-result is the swap of the server IP addresses so the new production system is using the old production's IP address...so nothing on the firewall/DNS servers need to be modified for the system to work (if exposed to the Internet or internally to the local network).

LHammonds
    Nice workflow -- I'm not sure at home I take so many precautions however its good someone espouses a very safe way to do this.