Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu for university students

Beans

Question ubuntu for university students

hello i've always used ubuntu for learning programming(im a beginner) but for university purpose i use windows for typing and researching and i dont use specific tools and i don't know if i can use it for university purpose.what do you suggest me?it is stable enough ?because i can't loose my work and files espacially regarding that all my classes and work are online and on pc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ubuntu for university students

Yes. Ubuntu is "stable" enough. I'm not sure why you might think it would not be. Virtually all super computers run Linux. Most of the internet backbone runs on Linux. There are more Linux devices in the world by an order or two of magnitude than Windows.

As for the most important issue: If your university professors are going to expect your work to be done on Windows, I'd stick with Windows and use Windows tools. Your studies are more important in the long run than using Linux right now.

You could dual boot if you wish, or run Ubuntu as a virtual machine -- which would probably be the best thing as you learn Linux anyway. If you damage your virtual machine, you can easily spin it back up from a backup.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

If you can't lose your work, keep good backups. Windows, Ubuntu and hardware all have chance of failing at the worst time. I find Ubuntu to be quite stable, if I am not too stupid. Some of your PC university programs might only be made for Windows, so need to talk with professors and find out.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

When I went to university, they told me: ‘We don't use Windows here. It doesn't meet our requirements. Get used to it.’ That's when I moved away from Windows. I never looked back. It's not unlikely your university professors use Ubuntu too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Provided that you choose cross platform tools you will be safe.
    These tools run on Windows and Ubuntu ..

LibreOffice
    Inkscape
    Zotero (for research citations)
    Atom editor (markdown content plus markdown-preview-enhanced package)
    Pandoc
    Bookman (R plus markdown)
    VSCode
    RStudio
    and many others depending on your chosen subjects.

If your professors push Windows then cite CERN as an example.

I have encouraged our grandchildren to use both Windows 10 and Ubuntu.

Beans

thanks, i will use ubuntu and use windows alternative softwares for ubuntu and in worst case scenario i'll just use virtualbox

Beans

If your data is important to you then back up your data regularly. You should do this regardless of the OS.

Beans

If you are learning to program then we need to know the language you are coding in and we can suggest IDEs and packages to give what you need. You don't just "program". You "program in C++" or "Program in Python"

Beans

For papers, I'd recommend saving to PDF, which is simple to do with LibreOffice (File > Export as PDF). If you have professors who require submissions in the Microsoft formats .doc or .docx, or .xls or .xlsx, you can save to those directly from LibreOffice with File > Save As.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

update : i learned and switched to ubuntu ,all my important files are backed up and for coding i use vs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast