Thread: ubuntu 20.04 hangs when attempting to mount ntfs partition

Beans

ubuntu 20.04 hangs when attempting to mount ntfs partition

Hello, The issue I have is that my system completely hangs when I mount a ntfs partition.

I am using a Ubuntu 20.04 system with dual boot organized as follows:

Ext4 partition (/dev/sda7) mounted on /home - which is automatically mounted when I turn on my computer, and is my Ubuntu 20.04 system
    NTFS partition (/dev/sda3) unmounted by default
    Other smaller sections such as swap... etc.

When I boot I can choose alternatively to start in the NTFS partition with Windows10, and it works OK. However, I usually start in the Ext4 (ubuntu). From ubuntu I attempt to mount the NTFS partition manually simply by navigating to "+ Other locations" (I guess that's the EN translation of my ES version) and click on the OS disc icon. This usually hanged the computer for few seconds up to 1-2 minutes. But now it turned to be a persistent hang (more than 15 min) from where the systems does not recover and I am forced to restart.

When it hangs I can barely move the mouse, and nothing else works except Alt+Ctrl+F4 (I don't know what to do there anyway) and Alt+Ctrl+F1 from where I can restart the computer. But restarting doesn't help
    I will give some other info below
    I appreciate any help
    Cheers!

Beans

Re: ubuntu 20.04 hangs when attempting to mount ntfs partition

Things I have already done:

1---
    I already tried doing this:
    Code:
    ntfsfix /dev/sda3
    It returned
    Code:
    Mounting volume... OK
    Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
    Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
    NTFS volume version is 3.1.
    NTFS partition /dev/sda3 was processed successfully.
    and
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda3 /media/alemsqdt/
    It hanged...

2----
    A similar post I found was (in mint, although):
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=296629
    But the solution there was to change the NTFS system by an Ext4 system but I can't since I need that partition to run in Windows.

3---
    I did
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    and restarted
    But It still hangs (always when attempting to mount ntfs, otherwise the system works perfectly)

4----
    This has happened to me once before, using Ubuntu 19.10 and the same ntfs partition with Windows 10. I couldn't solve the issue. What I did was wait until Ubuntu 20.04 was developed and installed it from scratch. But I don't want to do another fresh install, I suppose this can be solved...