Thread: 3400g screen artifacts

Beans

3400g screen artifacts

Hey guys long time lubuntu user (since 2010) but new to the forum here.
    I recently got a new Ryzen 5 3400g box (i love it) and on lubuntu, as well as manjaro, I get severe graphics artifacts. heres an example from yesterday :
    https://ibb.co/t82bwsx

This happens within all apps and environments.

Seems to me like this might be a video driver issue? I have no problems in Windows 10, only linux, so I suspect the driver, but I dont know for sure.
    If anyone has any advice, I would certainly love to hear it!

Thanks

gooch
    Last edited by goochmcroach; September 1st, 2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: additional info

Beans

Re: 3400g screen artifacts

heres a fresh one
    https://ibb.co/sVVbdmX
    i use my phone camera because if I press prtscr the screen refreshes and the artifacts are not captured.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by goochmcroach View Post
    Seems to me like this might be a video driver issue? I have no problems in Windows 10, only linux, so I suspect the driver, but I dont know for sure.
    If anyone has any advice, I would certainly love to hear it!
    My advice would be to post details of your graphics hardware so that people can give relevant advice.

Also, if you want to include images in your posts, please use the attachment facility to upload them to the forum server, rather than links to off-site hosting sites which many are chary of clicking. Go to the advanced message editor and use the paperclip icon to upload pictures.

Welcome to the forum!
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

If you have wayland enabled (I think it's default on Lubuntu these days), try to disable it.

Beans

Hey guys, thanks for responding. After digging around in ubuntuforums, I found my issue and seems as if I resolved it. I disabled IOMMU in BIOS and so far, no glitching! I will certainly notify if the artifacts return!
    Coffeecat : apologies for breach of protocol. Noted. Thanks to you, too dinkidonk. I should have looked here for the solution weeks ago. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

could you give new kernel a try and then report to launchpad bug? supposedly the issue is resolved in newer kernel, however it makes me wonder since you said same thing happens on Manjaro.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla