Thread: Remove spying softwares from ubuntu

Beans

Exclamation Remove spying softwares from ubuntu

How can i remove spying softwares from ubuntu,
    such as that data collection, amazon things.

I want to be fully private, without sending any detail about my laptop to any company?
    Help!!

Beans

Re: Remove spying softwares from ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rajan222 View Post
    How can i remove spying softwares from ubuntu,
    such as that data collection, amazon things.

I want to be fully private, without sending any detail about my laptop to any company?
    Help!!
    Ubuntu doesn't come with any “spying softwares”. If you install software from the default repositories then you are quite safe.

Beans

I want to be fully private
    stay off the interwebz...

xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans

That 'data collection, amazon thing' was a search provider for the desktop which would search amazon for products related to searches on your desktop. It was installed by default in Ubuntu 12.04 and was removed after a lot of users complained about it. So it's basically ancient history.

Most other things that are sent are diagnostic data meant to help improve either specific programs or the system as a whole. Firefox has such a system, iirc it's opt-in; Ubuntu's crash reporter apport wants to send data to Canonical and asks every time whether or not it is allowed to sent a report about a crashed program. There's also something called 'popularity contest', which will sent information about installed and used programs to Canonical. That data is collected to help allocate resources for improvement / bug-fixing. This too is strictly opt-in. It used to be installed by default but not active; I think it was recently removed from the set of packages installed by default.

The biggest information leak is obviously the web-browser. Select a different search engine as your default instead of Google (I use duckduckgo.com), install an ad-blocker (uBlock Origin), a blocker for trackers (Privacy Badger by the EFF) and if you want to play at being paranoid a script blocker (the one I use is NoScript).

Beyond that, the only way to be fully private is to never ever connect your computer to the internet. The development of the protocols used on the internet was done in an academic setting where public exchange and sharing of information was the goal - the idea that somebody might have private data on a computer which he wants to stay private was never even considered.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You may have been reading old -- and incorrect -- news.

The "spy softwares" never were spyware. That was more a product of the imagination of RMS and his posse than an objective assessment of the facts.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Look in settings>privacy. 18.04 had an option to send hardware info to Canonical for development purposes. I don't remember seeing the option in 20.04 , but I'm using Ubuntu Budgie. You can disable crash reporting which will gather information about your computer.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Last edited by crip720; August 31st, 2020 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you read the Ubuntu/Canonical privacy policy?

https://ubuntu.com/legal/data-privacy/2013-03-25

In order to post on this forum you needed to register. You have handed over a little amount of private data. How do you feel about that? Any online accounts that we set up for banking, buying, email and such things require us to lose some privacy. Do you use a credit card? They know what you buy.

Regards and sleep tight
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    stay off the interwebz...

I concur. Do you use a smart phone? Do you leave your house? Do you make purchase with a credit card or a debit card? Do you drive or travel? If you do any of these then you don't have "complete privacy". To achieve that you'll have to be completely off the grid in some jungle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Maybe the OP has a slow internet connection...and it's taken a few years since they hit SUBMIT before it reached the Ubuntu Forums...

There's always that possibilty.