Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

Beans

NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

Hi Guys,

Looking at buying a Seagate firecuda 520 gen 4 pcie SSD and 2 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs - these will be simply used as cache data drives for a particular application (PixInsight).

The o/s booting drive will be a Crucial BX500 256GB SSD - so that shouldn't have any issues.

Some quick googling tells me that NVME PCI-e has been supported in the Linux kernel since v3.3. Will these drives work out of the box after initial O/S install, or will I have to do additional things to get them working. If the latter, what will I need to do?

Motherboard will be a Gigabyte Aorus Master x570, which will have the BIOS updated to the latest version before O/S install.

NVME drives may have older firmware installed upon purchasing, I'm really new to NVME and don't know much about the tech, so not sure if it's possible to update the firmware before having them in a working O/S install.

Any advice and help appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

My Samsung NVMe had a ISO update file in the Samsung support site. It looked like an old DOS screen, was only for my model and only updated it to version it was as a download.
    I believe the Windows app supports more, but the Linux version of the app in the commercial section never worked for updating my old SSD.

How to update Samsung:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...ownload/tools/

to see details (may have to install nvme):
    sudo nvme list
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

x570 is really new. Almost still bleeding edge.
    The Samsung 970 Evo Plus should be fine. Those are well supported.

Nobody here will have exactly the same setup as you, so you'll need to research issues yourself. I'd be most worried about the Gigabyte x570 support and carefully read the different storage connection limitations before buying anything. There are some things about storage connections that I would never have thought about BEFORE I got a B450. My plans had to change completely due to the way the chipsets disabled and enabled only specific ports/slots. Also, all the information wasn't in 1 place in the motherboard manual. It was in 3 different places, each with slightly different data. Read carefully. You didn't mention a CPU, some of the storage capabilities are tied to specific CPUs. That x570 has only 2 NVMe m.2 slots. How will you connect 3 m.2 NVMe storage devices?
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...R-rev-10/sp#sp

Some of the x570 boards have some really new ethernet chips that a number of people here have had problems using. Then there's the entire "Gigabyte doesn't support linux at all" problem. Not supporting Linux only matters when it matters. If it doesn't matter (everything works), then it doesn't matter. For a cheap system, I don't have problems buying Gigabyte. For something where i'm spending over $200, I want all the components from vendors who DO support Linux - or at least try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    That x570 has only 2 NVMe m.2 slots. How will you connect 3 m.2 NVMe storage devices?
    Read it again. It has 3 M.2 slots (1 from the CPU, 2 from the chipset).

carefully read the different storage connection limitations before buying anything.
    The manual's table says the only limitation is that you lose 2 SATA ports if you use the bottom "M2_C" connector with a PCI-e SSD. Happily, the X570 has more PCI-e lanes than B450, so there's less sharing and caveats.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This may be an issue. It takes a bit of time for the kernel to be ready to use the most up-to-date hardware. You might want to see if Phoronix has any articles regarding your hardware.

I have three Samsung Evo 970 Plus devices on my board, the OS is installed on one of them, and I have no issues.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

It has dual LAN ports - a 2.5Gbe (Realtek RTG8125AG) and an Intel i211. The Intel LAN should work without issue. (I have the same thing on my mobo and it's pretty common.)
    I have no idea about the Realtek chip.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post

The manual's table says the only limitation is that you lose 2 SATA ports if you use the bottom "M2_C" connector with a PCI-e SSD. Happily, the X570 has more PCI-e lanes than B450, so there's less sharing and caveats.
    There are caveats about the 3rd m.2 working which may not apply to the OP. We don't know. He should read and understand any limitations, unless you will buy the MB if it does not work for his needs.

When it comes to hardware, I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope for the best, but plan for the worst because I've been burned more than a few times, especially when in a hurry or trusting well-meaning online suggestions. After all, that's what we are here - well-meaning people, but we really don't have any skin in the choices to be made. It isn't my $180.

Beans

There are caveats about the 3rd m.2 working which may not apply to the OP. We don't know.
    What are you talking about? I already read the manual and pointed out that caveat to the OP. So yes, I/we do know. Is there something specific you have an issue with or do you not trust the manual?

Beans

The Samsung 970 Evo Plus should be fine. Those are well supported.

Nobody here will have exactly the same setup as you, so you'll need to research issues yourself. I'd be most worried about the Gigabyte x570 support and carefully read the different storage connection limitations before buying anything. There are some things about storage connections that I would never have thought about BEFORE I got a B450. My plans had to change completely due to the way the chipsets disabled and enabled only specific ports/slots. Also, all the information wasn't in 1 place in the motherboard manual. It was in 3 different places, each with slightly different data. Read carefully. You didn't mention a CPU, some of the storage capabilities are tied to specific CPUs. That x570 has only 2 NVMe m.2 slots. How will you connect 3 m.2 NVMe storage devices?
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...R-rev-10/sp#sp

Some of the x570 boards have some really new ethernet chips that a number of people here have had problems using. Then there's the entire "Gigabyte doesn't support linux at all" problem. Not supporting Linux only matters when it matters. If it doesn't matter (everything works), then it doesn't matter. For a cheap system, I don't have problems buying Gigabyte. For something where i'm spending over $200, I want all the components from vendors who DO support Linux - or at least try.
    The board was released over a year ago...that is not bleeding edge or really new. As others pointed out, the board I have bought has 3 m2 slots. Slot 1 tied to CPU, slots 2 and 3 off the chipset. You can use all 3 m2 slots, but using the 3rd will disable 2 of the SATA ports (not an issue, since I will only be using 3 other SATA devices and there are 4 slots left after using the 3rd m2 slot disables 2 SATA slots).

I would not be using ethernet, but wireless and the wifi chipset should work OOTB with a modern kernel, at least given my research.

I've used Linux on and off for a long time, probably before some of you were born - I'm long past making manufacturers support Linux It's nice if they do, but going up in arms with them won't enamour them of the FSF community. I bought the board for features and performance.

I'll be using a AMD 9 Ryzen 3900x.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    My Samsung NVMe had a ISO update file in the Samsung support site. It looked like an old DOS screen, was only for my model and only updated it to version it was as a download.
    I believe the Windows app supports more, but the Linux version of the app in the commercial section never worked for updating my old SSD.

How to update Samsung:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...ownload/tools/

to see details (may have to install nvme):
    sudo nvme list
    Thanks - this machine wasn't intended to have Windows on it at all, and I'm not quite sure how I can update the firmware on Linux without Windows...none of my other computers support NVME PCIe M2 drives at all. Let's hope the Linux version of Samsung's software works. I will pose a support question to Seagate. Sadly, it is unreasonable to expect major companies to support an operating system with =< .7% global user base.

Correct. Many people have demonstrated what happens when you plug in the 3rd m2 device (albeit using Windows). Since this is driven by the motherboard's chipset/BIOS, the changes should be automatically provided to the O/S kernel. That is if the kernel can interpret the device interrupts correctly...

An interesting read. It seems audio should work, providing you run a kernel which has the patch, or patch the kernel with said patch. I wasn't intending to be running Windows on said machine (as a dual boot), so there should be no funny business with Windows putting the hardware into light sleep etc. I would expect that it should work, having read through the entire thread. I kind of want audio to work, as I intended to listen to my music library when working on images in PixInsight. If I can't get audio to work, it's a deal breaker for me and I guess I'll buy a Windows licence and go that route and lose 5% performance with PixInsight as a result.

There are caveats about the 3rd m.2 working which may not apply to the OP. We don't know. He should read and understand any limitations, unless you will buy the MB if it does not work for his needs.

When it comes to hardware, I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope for the best, but plan for the worst because I've been burned more than a few times, especially when in a hurry or trusting well-meaning online suggestions. After all, that's what we are here - well-meaning people, but we really don't have any skin in the choices to be made. It isn't my $180.
    What caveats? If you are referring to the 3rd m2 slot disabling 2 SATA ports, that is not an issue as I stated above ^^^

What are you talking about? I already read the manual and pointed out that caveat to the OP. So yes, I/we do know. Is there something specific you have an issue with or do you not trust the manual?
    I've also done my research regarding the m2 slots/SATA issues.

I simply posted this thread because I have zero experience with NVME PCIe m2 drives (Linux or Windows or MacOS) and was curious as to what to expect given the normal speed of development that the Linux Kernel usually sees, especially with major hardware changes.

I guess if I can't get it to work on Linux, I'll just bypass it and return to Windows land. It's not a massive issue for me. It'll be disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast