Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Beans
    6

    Re: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

    Just an addendum, found this helpful askabuntu topic on Samsung's magician:

    https://askubuntu.com/questions/5374...ytes%20written

    and Seagate seems to have Linux CLI and GUI versions of its software here:

    https://www.seagate.com/au/en/suppor...ecuda-520-ssd/

    Can't tell if any of it is good not. Given that I'm new to NVME in Linux, and really haven't played with SSDs in Linux (trim, etc), I have some reading to do!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    14,248

    Re: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpastern2 View Post
    I simply posted this thread because I have zero experience with NVME PCIe m2 drives (Linux or Windows or MacOS) and was curious as to what to expect given the normal speed of development that the Linux Kernel usually sees, especially with major hardware changes.
    *Shrug* I have NVMe drives, Sabrent Rocket and Intel 660p. They work just fine. I run trim once in a while. (IIRC, Ubuntu does this automatically as a cron job). But that's about it as far as difference from a normal drive.
    For firmware, maybe Samsung and Seagate will dive in the fwupd pool one day instead of sticking their toes in the water: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/vendors/

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Beans
    6

    Re: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    *Shrug* I have NVMe drives, Sabrent Rocket and Intel 660p. They work just fine. I run trim once in a while. (IIRC, Ubuntu does this automatically as a cron job). But that's about it as far as difference from a normal drive.
    For firmware, maybe Samsung and Seagate will dive in the fwupd pool one day instead of sticking their toes in the water: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/vendors/
    I see no real reason why all NVME drives shouldn't work, but I've seen stranger things happen in my time...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

    i installed in june to nvme that came in laptop. so far so good.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Beans
    6

    Re: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i installed in june to nvme that came in laptop. so far so good.
    Awesome, which brand/model may I ask? Did it work OOTB?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,931
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

    I have an NVMe 512 GB branded HP, actually provided by MultiPointe Systems if memory serves. The firmware update utility is Windows only. It was plug 'n' play for me. I did lose access to one of 4 SATA ports due to shared PCIe lanes. Another thing to be aware of - M2 SSDs can be either NVMe or SATA. They're not interchangeable.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Beans
    6

    Re: NVME on Ubuntu - general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I have an NVMe 512 GB branded HP, actually provided by MultiPointe Systems if memory serves. The firmware update utility is Windows only. It was plug 'n' play for me. I did lose access to one of 4 SATA ports due to shared PCIe lanes. Another thing to be aware of - M2 SSDs can be either NVMe or SATA. They're not interchangeable.
    yeah that caught me out initially - was simply thinking if it said m2 it was nvme. Thankfully, taking my time and researching the subject properly allowed myself to realise this and I was able to select nvme pcie m2 slots. It really hasn't been kept simple at all - pcie or sata. m2, b2 or m2/b2 notches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •