Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless Network Adapter not ON

tea for one is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Wireless Network Adapter not ON

From your post no. 6

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4365] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1704 802.11n + BT 4.0 [1028:0016]
    Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
    Kernel modules: bcma
    0: hci0: Bluetooth
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
    From the advice in this thread https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110

14e4:4365 Special case #2 bcmwl-kernel-source
    You need to use a different driver but it is difficult to understand exactly what you have done so far, especially when you mention Cosmic Cuttlefish in post no. 7.

In your position, I would back up my data, reinstall cleanly 20.04 and then add the correct driver as follows:-

Code:
    sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Alternatively, ask the mods to move the thread to Networking & Wireless, where more knowledgeable users can help you remove and replace your wireless drivers.

Beans

Sorry,

I did not want to burden with details, but I started with 18.10 installation, because a link on Ubuntu website let me to it as being the latest version (dont ask me how, I tried to retrace my steps already).

Subsequently I did install the 20.04.1, but the exact same problem persists.

Best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A good clean, from scratch, installation of Ubuntu 20.04 it's a good starting point. It's supported for 5 years.
    That you had an older release before is confusing for the people trying to help you and irrelevant if you now installed Ubuntu 20.04 from scratch.

The solution is the same though.
    Get an alternative internet connection (Ethernet cable, USB tethering from your Android or iPhone, etc.) and run in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source
    This is a one time only.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Threads merged and merged thread moved to Networking & Wireless sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12