Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dreaded "Installer Crashed" Question

Beans

The Dreaded "Installer Crashed" Question

I tried to install the latest Ubuntu distribution on an older Toshiba laptop with AMD A6-5200 and Windows 8 OS. My intent was to erase Windows and have it a Ubuntu system only.

The installation was going well until some point towards the end when "Installer Crashed" message appeared and the computer froze. I then restarted it when a message "Something terrible wrong has happened" and it powered down.

The laptop used to start with the Toshiba logo and the words "Leading Innovation". Right now when I try to power it up, this same screen appears for a second and the computer shuts down. I also tried powering it up while pressing F10 to 12 (not at the same time) and the USB stick inserted, but with the same results.

I am at a loss. I searched, but did not see a case like mine.

I need directions how to revive the laptop and how to complete the installation. If you were to reply please, explain it to me as if I were a four year old.

Thanks in advance

Best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: The Dreaded "Installer Crashed" Question

Kind of sounds like something might be physically wrong with the laptop. It's possible the hard drive has failed, it is an older model. I would disconnect the hard drive and see if it boots from the live usb you created. If it boots and stays running likely the hard drive has worn out. If that's the case, get yourself an SSD and you should be in great shape. The fact that it does try to boot and the error message leads me to believe this. I saw the same behavior on a similar system I used to have.

Beans

Thank you for your reply. I will try. Just for the record: The laptop showed the "something has gone terrible wrong message" only once. Right not it is trying to get to the Toshiba screen, but it powers down after a second. I cannot boot up from the USB stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I suspect a hardware failure may be causing it to power down. Is the fan running when it is powered on?

Beans

it was before, but it is powered for about a second and I dont hear a fan during that time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Perhaps I missed it but what happens if you try to boot without any USB drive installed?

Beans

Thank you for your reply.

It doesnt matter if the USB stick is in, the result is always the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If that laptop has an easily removable battery, try this:

Disconnect EVERY cord from laptop.
    Remove battery. Go and enjoy a cup of coffee or a cold beer.
    Insert battery. Plug in power cord. Try turning unit on with or without you boot USB. Report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If the laptop has two RAM modules installed, try booting with only one installed at a time.
    Also, try removing the HDD or SSD and boot with just the Live USB.

Try and eliminate possible hardware problems one at a time. One bad component can drag a whole system down.

Beans

Thank you for solving the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast