Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB stick suggestion for installing a full Ubuntu in it

j2ee is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

USB stick suggestion for installing a full Ubuntu in it

I heard Sandisk extreme pro is the best but it is too expensive. Any cheaper suggestion? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: USB stick suggestion for installing a full Ubuntu in it

You can find tips and further links via this link: Prerequisites

Today a good choice can be a SSD drive (with/for an internal SATA connection) + an external USB to SATA box or adapter. It can give better performance to a lower cost compared to an advanced USB pendrive. (But it is not as convenient.)

Beans

I am thinking to buy Sandisk "Extreme Go" 64GB with around local price $15.5 USD. Any good experience with it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've used all sorts of USB sticks to install Ubuntu. Never had a problem with any of them. The smallest I use is about 3.5 GB and probably ten years old.

Just bought three ADATA 32 GB sticks for $6 each at NewEgg. The 64 GB versions cost $9.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 30th, 2020 at 06:14 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: [ubuntu] USB stick suggestion for installing a full Ubuntu in it

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I've used all sorts of USB sticks to install Ubuntu. Never had a problem with any of them. The smallest is about 3.5 GB.

Just bought three ADATA 32 GB sticks for $6 each at NewEgg. The 64 GB versions cost $9.
    Which usb stick is good in your option? I can play like $20 USD for 64GB and this size is good enough for me.

Anyone tried Samsung USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus? Its price is similar as "Extreme Go"
    Last edited by howefield; August 30th, 2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Hidden!

Most USB pendrives work well when new and when used as normal storage devices. But when you plan to use it as a system drive for an installed system, there are higher demands.

- After repeated write operations the memory cells fail. Most USB pendrives can stand far less write cycles compared to an SSD (and high quality pendrives that have similar memory hardware as SSDs).

- But long before the drive fails, it will get slow. There is a wear levelling system, that helps avoid failure because some particular memory locations get written to repeatedly.

- A USB pendrive that is getting slow, say below half of the original write speed, can be zeroised, the whole drive overwritten with zeros, and restored to almost the original speed.

- An installed system tends to write a lot to some particular locations. This can be avoided with the mount option noatime. There are also other things that can be avoided in order to reduce the wear of the memory cells. See how you can tweak an installed Ubuntu system in a USB pendrive at this link.

- A persistent live system is not writing as much as an installed system, so it can be a good alternative in a USB pendrive, but there are several other advantages with an installed system, for example stability and ability to get updated and upgraded just like any installed system in an internal drive. (You can install application programs and save data in a persistent live system, but not update and upgrade the linux kernel and the kernel drivers.)

Beans

Extreme Pro should use MLC and I guess Extreme Go uses TLC which should be resonable durable. Both have life long warranty anyway so if it is dead after like 10 years then just exchange a new one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I find lots of RAM more important than the USB stick. I understand that Ubuntu runs mainly in RAM once it gets going. My 15GB USB2 Fit seems just as fast as my 32GB USB3 Fit as long as I keep the number of running tasks reasonable. Booting and Saving data may take a little longer though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i got a bunch of Sandisk, Kingston and Sony are good options (5 year warranty on them). the USB 3.0 version work good and reliable. i bough a bunch of them on sale for 5 EUR (the 32Gb version).

Kingston is used for server and has been running non stop now for quite some time (3 or 4 years). might be time to image it

EDIT1: Traveler or similar version are more robust. often resistant to water and dust. smaller that go on key chain cost a bit more. but they are often a bit more reliable.

if i wanted to do something more on the system with a lot of writes and rewrites i would go for portable 512 GB SSD (or at least 256GB). they are small (Sandisk) and have water and dust protection. thy cost 80 EUR here and i guess they likely last longer than USB and are faster. i was thinking about getting one for games that my kid plays on laptop. but maybe will just add another internal SSD later when laptop warranty expires. i plan an upgrade (RAM and Disk next year).

edit2: for testing a system (or dual boot) i find virtualbox to be a better and more convenient option. i used to have about 8 linux distros installed on windows. various testing and learning servers and 2 desktops. no USB switching and rebooting necessary. plus i could mess up the OS and have it restored to previous state in seconds. further more there are premade images available online that you can just load. no install needed.
    Last edited by mastablasta; August 31st, 2020 at 07:00 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i got a bunch of Sandisk, Kingston and Sony are good options (5 year warranty on them). the USB 3.0 version work good and reliable. i bough a bunch of them on sale for 5 EUR (the 32Gb version).

Kingston is used for server and has been running non stop now for quite some time (3 or 4 years). might be time to image it

EDIT1: Traveler or similar version are more robust. often resistant to water and dust. smaller that go on key chain cost a bit more. but they are often a bit more reliable.

if i wanted to do something more on the system with a lot of writes and rewrites i would go for portable 512 GB SSD (or at least 256GB). they are small (Sandisk) and have water and dust protection. thy cost 80 EUR here and i guess they likely last longer than USB and are faster. i was thinking about getting one for games that my kid plays on laptop. but maybe will just add another internal SSD later when laptop warranty expires. i plan an upgrade (RAM and Disk next year).

edit2: for testing a system (or dual boot) i find virtualbox to be a better and more convenient option. i used to have about 8 linux distros installed on windows. various testing and learning servers and 2 desktops. no USB switching and rebooting necessary. plus i could mess up the OS and have it restored to previous state in seconds. further more there are premade images available online that you can just load. no install needed.
    Thx for sharing. Virtualbox has some security issue especially Windows is the host.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast