Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Dual Boot with Windows have all these problems? (with Youtube links)

Beans

Re: Does Dual Boot with Windows have all these problems? (with Youtube links)

Quote Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
    I just use it for easy tasks, should not feel big speed different.
    In that case you may as well use a live usb (with persistence if desired). I would be easier and run faster than installing into a usb thumb since the live usb runs in ram.

j2ee is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    In that case you may as well use a live usb (with persistence if desired). I would be easier and run faster than installing into a usb thumb since the live usb runs in ram.
    Any security concern since I cannot update/patch OS/Browser/Program with live usb with persistence?

Beans

Any security concern since I cannot update/patch OS/Browser/Program with live usb with persistence?
    If you worry then don't use persistence, it then just runs in ram and everytime you unplugged you have a fresh start. But you should be able to update the browser with persistence. You can install things and keep them, just need to enable the repositories.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 1st, 2020 at 07:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if you just plan to toy around with linux, then install it to virtualbox. no need to reboot and all that when going to linux. you just launch kt and pick up form where you left (virtualbox will save the state) or boot fresh.

for example one of the guides with pics: https://automaticaddison.com/how-to-...your-computer/

you can use another one.

all you need is 4 GB ram (well you should give at least 2 GB to ubuntu OS) and about 8-10 Gb free hard disk.

i did this on old single core CPU and windows XP (with PAE kernel so it sort of supported 4 GB ram) and it worked perfectly. i used Xubuntu (or rather pure XFCE) because it was lighter on resources. i gave the OS only 1 GB ram. i later moved to bare metal (HDD) install.

on low powered AMD E450 (dual core) i could give it one core and i used 512 MB for the setup (i had only 2 GB ram in total), but there i used it only for server.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    if you just plan to toy around with linux, then install it to virtualbox. no need to reboot and all that when going to linux. you just launch kt and pick up form where you left (virtualbox will save the state) or boot fresh.

for example one of the guides with pics: https://automaticaddison.com/how-to-...your-computer/

you can use another one.

all you need is 4 GB ram (well you should give at least 2 GB to ubuntu OS) and about 8-10 Gb free hard disk.

i did this on old single core CPU and windows XP (with PAE kernel so it sort of supported 4 GB ram) and it worked perfectly. i used Xubuntu (or rather pure XFCE) because it was lighter on resources. i gave the OS only 1 GB ram. i later moved to bare metal (HDD) install.

on low powered AMD E450 (dual core) i could give it one core and i used 512 MB for the setup (i had only 2 GB ram in total), but there i used it only for server.
    I would do something like ebanking, virualbox in windows is too risky.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would do something like ebanking, virualbox in windows is too risky.
    That's a matter of opinion.
    Windows is too risky to be allowed on the internet, IMHO.

I haven't dual booted in a very long time, but still use Windows almost daily for a few things that just aren't there on Linux. Mainly financial tools and video editing (certain types only). My Windows video editing machine is a laptop from 2011-ish. For financial stuff, I have Windows running inside a VM. Two different systems, but I'd prefer to run Windows in the VM for a number of reasons mainly related to snapshots, backups, and nearly instant restores when something bad happens. The VM host is Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 server). When that laptop dies, I probably won't replace it. If the VM host dies, I have a failover system that can be running in about 45 minutes for all the VMs. Some of the VMs have been migrated forward since 2008 from machine to machine. Each time, gaining a performance boost. Virtual machines move between different hardware pretty easily in the Linux world.
    I started with VMs on a PentiumM CPU --> Core2Dou E6600 --> Core2Dou X8600 --> Core i5-750 --> Ryzen 5 2600. That's a huge jump in performance with each move. Also, the amount of RAM has gone up. Initially, the box barely had enough to support virtual machines at all. Then I ran with 8G and about 10 VMs, then 16G and about 20 VMs with plenty of extra RAM for a few play VMs. Until just this June, 16G was fine. After installing 20.04 into a VM, the RAM needs seemed to increase. I think it was snap packages. I was exceeding the 16G a few times a week, so another 16G was added to provide headroom.
    Code:
    $ free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:            31G         16G        733M        454M         13G         12G
    Swap:          4.3G        2.1G        2.1G
    There are few good reasons to dual boot at all anymore, but we each have our own reasons.

If I were going to do on-line banking, then I'd use a new TinyCore desktop every week. TinyCore with a modern browser is about 64MB in size - a trivial download. That's the complete, Linux, OS. Less code means more secure, fewer attack vectors. When I was a CFO handling bank stuff for the company, I'd create a bootable flash with the latest TinyCore and boot that from one of the computers here, do my stuff, then reboot. Extremely tiny chance of being hacked or having a keylogger. Bank accounts for businesses don't get the same protections where I live that bank accounts for individuals get. For a business, once the account is hacked, that money is gone. So much for paying everyone or paying bills. Imagine even a tiny company with just 5 well-paid employees having the money to make payroll in the account every month. Poof - that money could be gone.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post

I haven't dual booted in a very long time, but still use Windows almost daily for a few things that just aren't there on Linux. Mainly financial tools and video editing (certain types only). My Windows video editing machine is a laptop from 2011-ish. For financial stuff, I have Windows running inside a VM. Two different systems, but I'd prefer to run Windows in the VM for a number of reasons mainly related to snapshots, backups, and nearly instant restores when something bad happens. The VM host is Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 server). When that laptop dies, I probably won't replace it. If the VM host dies, I have a failover system that can be running in about 45 minutes for all the VMs. Some of the VMs have been migrated forward since 2008 from machine to machine. Each time, gaining a performance boost. Virtual machines move between different hardware pretty easily in the Linux world.
    I started with VMs on a PentiumM CPU --> Core2Dou E6600 --> Core2Dou X8600 --> Core i5-750 --> Ryzen 5 2600. That's a huge jump in performance with each move. Also, the amount of RAM has gone up. Initially, the box barely had enough to support virtual machines at all. Then I ran with 8G and about 10 VMs, then 16G and about 20 VMs with plenty of extra RAM for a few play VMs. Until just this June, 16G was fine. After installing 20.04 into a VM, the RAM needs seemed to increase. I think it was snap packages. I was exceeding the 16G a few times a week, so another 16G was added to provide headroom.
    Code:
    $ free -h
    There are few good reasons to dual boot at all anymore, but we each have our own reasons.

If I were going to do on-line banking, then I'd use a new TinyCore desktop every week. TinyCore with a modern browser is about 64MB in size - a trivial download. That's the complete, Linux, OS. Less code means more secure, fewer attack vectors. When I was a CFO handling bank stuff for the company, I'd create a bootable flash with the latest TinyCore and boot that from one of the computers here, do my stuff, then reboot. Extremely tiny chance of being hacked or having a keylogger. Bank accounts for businesses don't get the same protections where I live that bank accounts for individuals get. For a business, once the account is hacked, that money is gone. So much for paying everyone or paying bills. Imagine even a tiny company with just 5 well-paid employees having the money to make payroll in the account every month. Poof - that money could be gone.

Thx for sharing. Ubuntu live usb (not full install) is not safe?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thx for sharing. Ubuntu live usb (not full install) is not safe?
    It is too hard to keep current. Any Linux that hasn't been patched in the last week isn't safe. Will you pull a new "daily" ISO build every week to use? That's a huge amount of download that something like 65MB TinyCore can easily fill if used in the same way just for web surfing/banking.
    Only use the ISO for one purpose - either online banking OR normal surfing. Banking always, always, gets a special ISO.

Whether any distro is safe or not cannot be said. It is about limiting attack vectors. Less code means a smaller attack surface and fewer bugs. Is a 65MB distro less code than a 1.3GB distro? YES! Will you be hacked using one or the other for the 15 minutes you need it every week? Nobody can say, but it is less code. Are both teams making up to date tools and packages with all the latest known patches? I don't know in every case. Canonical certainly has 20x more people on the job, but they have 20x more code to deal with too.

Only you can decide.

Beans

Code:
    $ free -h

It is too hard to keep current. Any Linux that hasn't been patched in the last week isn't safe. Will you pull a new "daily" ISO build every week to use? That's a huge amount of download that something like 65MB TinyCore can easily fill if used in the same way just for web surfing/banking.
    Only use the ISO for one purpose - either online banking OR normal surfing. Banking always, always, gets a special ISO.

Whether any distro is safe or not cannot be said. It is about limiting attack vectors. Less code means a smaller attack surface and fewer bugs. Is a 65MB distro less code than a 1.3GB distro? YES! Will you be hacked using one or the other for the 15 minutes you need it every week? Nobody can say, but it is less code. Are both teams making up to date tools and packages with all the latest known patches? I don't know in every case. Canonical certainly has 20x more people on the job, but they have 20x more code to deal with too.

Only you can decide.
    Do you install browser everytime for banking? I see download option and it is 16mb

http://tinycorelinux.net/downloads.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if you browse only to your bank page (so one page/website only) then the only way to get infected via browser would be if the bank site was infected with malware. now if that happens, then you have bigger problem than your PC. well actually the bank has it and through it their users.

you could update it every time or use persistance. or you could just use the live version.

again many people just use virtualbox for that, in virtualbox you can also boot just a live session (no need to actually install).

ventoy, yumi, multibootUSB for multi OS booting form ISO images on one USB.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast