Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there an equivalent for "Device Manager" from Windows in Ubuntu?

Beans

Question Is there an equivalent for "Device Manager" from Windows in Ubuntu?

Title says it all. I'm not just talking about things like Ubuntu's "Additional Drivers", it doesn't display anything at all. I'm talking about one that really can manage drivers like Window's. And I just thought Id't be helpful to have one of these around.
    I need one with as much features as Window's Hardware Device Manager as possible. Disable, uninstall, install, etc. all drivers in the system if Ubuntu has one.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Is there an equivalent for "Device Manager" from Windows in Ubuntu?

You really do NOT want to just delete and install different drivers in Linux. Unless there is something specific that you need, your drivers all came with the kernel and will be updated as needed.

If you start installing other drivers, they are NOT updated automatically and can cause more damage to the system than they will help.

Again, unless you are now having a problem or need something very specific, leave it alone.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Most every driver you'll ever need comes packaged with the kernel. Those that are not open sourced, like NVIDIA's graphics drivers, are available through Additional Drivers. As Autodave said, leave it alone.

Linux is not Windows.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I understood, I'm not looking for a driver manager anymore. In fact the only reason I'm looking for one is that I want to disable my GPU drivers so Ubuntu won't use it anymore. In other words, I want Ubuntu to use the CPU's integrated graphics feature instead of the GPU because it's broken and basically unusable. Can you guys help me with this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Two solutions:

If the BIOS/UEFI has a setting for which graphics to use, just set it to the iGPU. By far this is the best solution.
    In the absence of the above and if you have Nvidia, just make sure the proper Nvidia drivers ARE installed - yes, the opposite of what you think is the solution (spoiler alert: it's not, it's nonsense) - and then open Nvidia X Sever Settings and select the iGPU profile and reboot. This setting will be permanent unless you later toggle it to the high performance profile.

Beans

Desktop or laptop?
    What is output of:
    Code:
    lspci

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Is there an equivalent for "Device Manager" from Windows in Ubuntu?

Okay I made a mistake not stating my laptop specs which is here
    BIOS settings only shows a setting about "Fixed/Dynamic" graphics mode which I have no idea about, and I don't think Nvidia drivers will work in my system.

Output of command "lspci":
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev b5)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port Mobile SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Whistler [Radeon HD 6730M/6770M/7690M XT]
    07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
    0d:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak] (rev 34)
    13:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5209 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
    19:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furesuka View Post
    BIOS settings only shows a setting about "Fixed/Dynamic" graphics mode which I have no idea about
    It's more applicable to Windows, but see: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048374

I don't think Nvidia drivers will work in my system.
    True. For some reason, CelticWarrior just assumed you had an Nvidia GPU.

I want Ubuntu to use the CPU's integrated graphics feature instead of the GPU because it's broken and basically unusable.
    This is how it should be setup by default. In other words, the Intel GPU should be used for all graphics unless you explicitly specify something to run on the AMD GPU with DRI_PRIME . To verify, look at output of:
    Code:
    glxinfo -B
    DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo -B

Beans

Smile Re: Is there an equivalent for "Device Manager" from Windows in Ubuntu?

The terminal didn't find a "glxinfo" command but said it can be installed with mesa-utils, so I did.
    (I was not sure if those are two commands but both seem to give the same output so I will only post one)

output of "glxinfo -B":
    Code:
    name of display: :1display: :1  screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
        Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
        Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 256 bits) (0xffffffff)
        Version: 20.0.8
        Accelerated: no
        Video memory: 3882MB
        Unified memory: no
        Preferred profile: core (0x1)
        Max core profile version: 3.3
        Max compat profile version: 3.1
        Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
        Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.1
    OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 256 bits)
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.0.8
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 20.0.8
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
    OpenGL context flags: (none)

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 20.0.8
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10

Beans

^That's bad. Your graphics aren't working correctly. Have you tried any modifications to fix your issue before you posted this thread?

Can you copy/paste contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log file?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast