Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backup in external hard disk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Backup in external hard disk

Quote Originally Posted by AnupamMitra View Post
    I think grsync should have a system of incremental backups. I mean, I won't have to copy all the files each time of update of backups.
    rsync/grsync write any new data to the same places as the old data. There is only 1 copy when completed. That isn't a versioned backup and that's an important thing. There are scripts around rsync that can provide versioning. rsnapshot and rbackup have been around for decades. They use hard links for the different versions. Back-in-Time does the same thing, but with a GUI. All of these have the same failures for backups. The file owner, group, permissions, ACLs and xattrs for only the last version are retained. Any prior versions, that data is lost.

rdiff-backup doesn't have that problem. The permissions and other things are versioned just like any changes to the files are versioned.

I used Back-in-Time for a few years and setup my Mother's computer to use it. It was fine for end-user file backups. At the time, it was terrible for system backups, but I think they've handled that better the last few years. Try it out. It might be something you can get your head around more than my "simple script." Having a solution is more important than having a solution that someone else likes.

OTOH, trying to explain how to setup Back-In-Time it 1000x harder than just trying it. I think rdiff-backup is much easier and provides a better solution overall, but it is your system. You need to find the best answer for you. The trick to understanding Back-in-Time is that snapshots (what they call snapshots) are created every hour. Then each is selective deleted as time passes. So, there are 48 snapshots for the last 2 days, but then only 1 per day is retained for the next 14 days. After 14 days, only 1 snapshot per month is retained until 1 yr, then only 1 snapshot per year is retained. Effectively, the closer is it to "now", the more versions/snapshots exist. As time marches forward, more and more of those current snapshots get removed. It really is pretty good and there are ways to customize how many are kept for how long. Don't quote me on the numbers retained in this paragraph, but you get the idea. Every "snapshot" is just a new set of hardlinks for all existing files, new files get copied, and removed files get deleted in the latest snapshot. An understanding of hardlinks is helpful, since lots of Unix/Linux backup methods use them.

rdiff-backup does not use hardlinks. It does using something like incremental rsync copies, but it is more efficient. I used rsync for backups for a few years, until those backups took so long that we couldn't get them completed in the allowed time.

I'm just trying to save everyone from having to work through all the other, not-as-great, backup tools. Perhaps each person needs to learn the lessons in their own time, in their own way. That's fine.

Good luck folks.

Beans

I recommend to refer to the documentation, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem
    There are several usable graphical backup programs available, they are listed on the linked page. Déjà Dup is built into Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    The first backup will take some time depending on size of data.

Subsequent backups will be much quicker because only files that have been changed will be backed up.

My daily backup of approx 10GB takes approx 60 - 90 seconds.
    As I was not well, I couldn't reply you early. However, thanks for the suggestion. grsync really suits me. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by AnupamMitra; September 23rd, 2020 at 03:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by AnupamMitra View Post
    As I was not well, I couldn't reply you early. However, thanks for the suggestion. grsync really suits me. Thanks a lot.
    Pleased to have helped.

Thank you for marking the thread as solved, it is always useful to other forum users.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123