Thread: No Wifi Adapter Found in Ubuntu 18.04, not sure how to install driver?

No Wifi Adapter Found in Ubuntu 18.04, not sure how to install driver?

Hello, I am running ubuntu 18.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic. Last week, the internet randomly stopped working. Turns out the network manager somehow disappeared, so I downloaded the debians on another computer, transferred via USB, and then installed. Now my ethernet works, but my wifi is still not working. When I go to settings and click on wifi, it lists "no wifi adapter found". I figure this must be a software issue, because the wifi was working two weeks ago. I have tried updating the computer, both from command line and software center, but this has not solved the problem.

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    produces:
    Code:
    *-network UNCLAIMED       
           description: Network controller
           product: Wireless 8265 / 8275
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:6c:00.0
           version: 78
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:dc500000-dc501fff
      *-network
           description: Ethernet interface
           physical id: 2
           logical name: enx106530d24185
           serial: 10:65:30:d2:41:85
           size: 1Gbit/s
           capacity: 1Gbit/s
           capabilities: ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8152 driverversion=v1.10.11 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.113 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=1Gbit/s
    Based on that output, I found this driver here: https://linux-hardware.org/index.php...24fd-8086-9010 that I think is the right one for my wifi adapter. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to install it. I downloaded the file, and went into software and updates-->additional drivers. Here, I can see listed:

Code:
    Intel Corporation: Wireless 8265/8275
    This device is not working.
    (option 1) Using iwlwifi driver backport in DKMS format from backport-iwlwifi-dkms (open source)
    (option 2) Continue using a manually installed driver
    (option 3) Do not use the device
    Option 3 is selected, and the other two are greyed out. The "revert" and "apply changes" buttons at the bottom are also greyed out.

Any suggestions? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No Wifi Adapter Found in Ubuntu 18.04, not sure how to install driver?

The correct driver, iwlwifi, has been in Ubuntu versions for some time, including your kernel version 5.4. There is no need to install another.

What we really need to do is see why the in-built driver isn't working. First, we'll try to load the driver and see if it throws any interesting errors or warnings:

Code:
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi
    Next, we'll check the message log for more clues:

Code:
    dmesg | grep iwl
    Please post the result and we'll continue.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Code:
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi
    produces:
    Code:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'iwlwifi': Operation not permitted
    Any idea what that means? I tried running in su prompt as well, with the same result.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'iwlwifi': Operation not permitted
    Very weird!

Does the module exist in your running kernel?

Code:
    uname -r
    modinfo iwlwifi | grep filename
    If this results in an error, then:

Code:
    sudo updatedb
    locate iwlwifi
    Can you interrupt the boot process at the GRUB menu and boot into an earlier kernel version? Does the wireless work there?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

I agree it's very strange, haha. Especially how all the internet disappeared spontaneously (wasn't even installing/uninstalling anything the day before).

Code:
    uname -r
    produces:
    Code:
    5.4.0-42-generic
    Code:
    modinfo iwlwifi | grep filename
    produces:
    Code:
    filename:       /lib/modules/5.4.0-42-generic/updates/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko
    I will try the earlier kernel version thing later this afternoon, and let you know. I have a demo before that, and I want to make sure I don't accidentally mess up my ethernet, or something else, right before that.

Thanks for the help!

Hello, sorry for the big delay. We were running some demos at work that depended on my computer, and I didn't want to accidentally mess it up trying to fix the wifi. I just booted to the previous kernel, and encountered the same problem--it still says "no wifi adapter found".

Any other ideas?

Thanks!