Thread: gnome-software (Software Center) does not allow me to install software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

gnome-software (Software Center) does not allow me to install software

Finally got upgraded to 20.04 and am still having issues. This one is that when I run the Software Center, I am not allowed to install software. I used to get queried to input my password as a sudoer but now I do not get that query and am told I do not have permission to install software. I am in the group sudo and can run sudo from a command line. Clues as to what I am missing?

deck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: gnome-software (Software Center) does not allow me to install software

I can't offer any exact advice about how to fix the authentication of gnome-software but here are some suggestions to establish the depth of this problem.

Can you use apt OK? i.e.
    Code:
    sudo apt install synaptic
    Having installed synaptic, does it authenticate your user?

If the upgrade has corrupted your user profile, possibly try and create another user with admin privileges?

To be honest, when sudo/admin gives difficulties, I would seriously consider installing a fresh version of 20.04 and adding my back-up.

Beans

I cannot see what installing "synaptic" would do, the package manager "Muon" is already installed as an alternative to the software center. Try to run command "groups" in a terminal and see if you are in the "sudo" group, if not that's your problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by dinkidonk View Post
    I cannot see what installing "synaptic" would do, the package manager "Muon" is already installed as an alternative to the software center. Try to run command "groups" in a terminal and see if you are in the "sudo" group, if not that's your problem.
    Installing synaptic would allow the OP to double check admin privileges with package management utilities when gnome-software was misbehaving.

There had been no activity in this thread for 11 hours which often means that these type of problems are very difficult to diagnose and provide workable solutions.

Hence, I was offering suggestions rather than solutions.

The OP already mentioned:-

I am in the group sudo and can run sudo from a command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Finally just fresh installed of 20.04. I had too much cruft from multiple upgrades over the last decade or so that just had to be blown out to get things working correctly. I backed up my home directory to a different partition on a different drive and did the fresh install. I have been bring back in old data directory by directory to get things running. And the Software Center works great now.

deck