Thread: I did something and now I can't login to ubuntu desktop (20.04)

Beans

I did something and now I can't login to ubuntu desktop (20.04)

I was using ubuntu desktop and then installed the mate desktop and switched to lightdm. I decided I wanted to go back to ubuntu desktop so I uninstalled mate and switched back to gdm3. Now I get the gdm login screen but when I login, i get a grey screen, mouse cursor and a message that says: System tray is unavailable, don't close your window. I don't have access to my desktop anymore and I don't want to reinstall. Can someone help me fix this please?

Beans

Re: I did something and now I can't login to ubuntu desktop (20.04)

If you press CTRL + ALT + T do you get a terminal? If so, you can reinstall the ubuntu-desktop package which may help

Beans

Re: I did something and now I can't login to ubuntu desktop (20.04)

I finally figured out the problem and I am adding this here in case someone else needs the solution. I was running synergy so I could run this system with the mouse and keyboard from another. I started it from my .profile. Something went wrong with synergy. I uninstalled it and removed the entry from .profile and everything worked after that... Unfortunately I uninstalled and reinstalled 2 or 3 desktop environments as well as X11 in the process to try and figure it out.