Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ugly Facebook

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

New Ugly Facebook

So, the "new" improved Facebook interface is upon us. And FB is changing over entirely on September 1st. We will all have to use this new (IMHO, cramped and ugly) interface.
    Not only is it ugly, but it is slow and clunky. It takes too long to load pages, the scrolling is jerky, and generally feels like it's stalling. This has issues in Brave, Firefox, even on a friends PC in Edge and Chrome on Windows, it does the same thing.

Are there any programs out there that, like and RSS reader, that will read your FB feeds, instead of having to log on directly to their website?
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; August 24th, 2020 at 10:34 PM.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

Re: New Ugly Facebook

Just did a fast google search. There seems to be a few ways of doing it, but unknown how well or if they are only for public posts. Only put in 'facebook feed reader' into google.

Beans

The new look also looks dumbed down. Got a glimpse of it just before . . . .

After almost 20 years I downloaded and deleted all my FB data and closed the account, forever, over a month ago. Through policies of censorship and propaganda Facebook has taken it upon themselves, along with Instagram (which they own,) Google, Twitter, and all of the MSM outlets to decide FOR US what is truth, what is lies, what we can see and cannot see, how to feel about things instead of letting us decide for ourselves. Their privacy violations are completely off the charts, you are no more than a marketable piece of data to Facebook. I suggest everyone who hasn't already do the same.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

the mostly advertise the wrong things to me. too many adds, and mostly i am hiding them as irrelevant.

as for the interface i had it for some time. the change is like morrowind vs oblivion interface. one is functional and gives you a good overview of everything. you cna keep it clean by deleting stuff. the other is garbage and you keep scrolling through it to try and to find what you are looking for...yuck.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

I haven't decided if I like it or not. I'm more: "Meh!" regarding the new look. It seems there's a lot of space wasted to make it less clunky. So: "Meh!"
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I had a brief glance and it looks like it's made exclusively for mobile units, like tablets and phones. Changed over to the old promptly, but it will only last to monday. I certainely dont't use FB's android app, never will. Bad bad bad.....
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Get the FBPurity extension (Google it). It has a provision to change back to the "old" FB plus you can block or rearrange your feed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney View Post
    Get the FBPurity extension (Google it). It has a provision to change back to the "old" FB plus you can block or rearrange your feed.
    This is The Way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

or move over to MeWe and join a few vibrant linux communities/groups there.

i just wonder how long will they be able to keep up with user increase before they will have to charge or push more ads.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

+1 on that one, Minds too. Wasn't too impressed by Diaspora or Ello. MeWe and Minds claim to be more private and free platforms, but they are not without problems. The worst being spam bots on MeWe. Minds has a "reputation" for harboring Nazi/facist/racist groups and supposedly a huge Thai folliwing in which all that is centered, but I haven't seen it yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast