Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless card Does not work in Ubuntu18.04

You can check
    Code:
    cat /sys/module/rtl8723be/parameters/ant_sel
    to see what it is after a reboot

when i do uname-r :

it shows this kernel 4.15.0-117-generic as you said you used ant 1 when it was kernel 5.4.

How do i update it ?? or everything is OK i am misunderstanding things

Beans
    Distro

If 1 gives you a better signal in the kernel you want to use, set it to that as I cannot be sure that my antenna is connected to the same one as what HP uses. Another thing to do is have a terminal open all the time, run
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/syslog
    When wifi has an issue, check that terminal to see if any relevant errors are there, you can use CTRL + c to stop that in terminal

Beans

Since I have dual boot of Ubuntu and Mint so yesterday in Ubuntu I had set the ant=1 and IPS=N as discussed in earlier post and the WIFI started getting signal but very weak then set it to 2 and then there was no signal at all the airplane mode became on again I set with 1. After that I booted into Mint and the signal was strong enough to download videos as well. Then I did live boot of Manjaro and Zorin OS as well and the WIFI signals were strong I found a pattern in them except in Ubuntu everywhere else signal were strong. I checked the the etc/modprobe.d folder of all other OS there was no "rtl8723be.conf" file but only in Ubuntu etc/modprobe.d folder the file was present. I deleted that file and rebooted in Ubuntu the signal became as strong as it was in all other OS. So setting no parameter at all the the signal is strong I even turned on the power management so far everything is working normal. Plasticdeveloper32 you do check it once with same configuration. I request jeremy31 to check it and make this confirm that is it really the thing that setting no param in rtl8723be.conf for RTL8723be card works. I even want to ask is there anyway so that signal strength can be checked thoroughly.

Beans
    Distro

There isn't a default rtl8723be.conf in Ubuntu or Mint that I know of. You do want to check
    Code:
    cat /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
    you want to see that setting at 2 and not 3 as that keeps Network manager from enabling wifi power management. You could also do
    Code:
    echo "options rtl8723 fwlps=N ips=N" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl-power-off.conf
    So that the power management settings in the driver are in a different file than where you set the ant_sel

The default setting for ant_sel is 0 and that doesn't always work with HP laptops with one antenna

@tushar321 seems like the wifi is not dropping or not disconnecting after sleep strange though cuz its the ant_sel is set to default(0) and power management ON means we are back to square one.

Any explanation or magic ?? Still under testing phase.

Because it used to happen any time as its intermittent.

If error will happen will set ant_sel to 1 and ask jeremy to tell me how to not disconnect when i put my machine on sleep, becuase after settings Power management to off it seems it still disconnect and connects again when awake from sleep.
    Last edited by plasticdeveloper32; September 13th, 2020 at 10:32 PM.

Nah doesn't work with tushar dianostics. But the thing is wifi is not dropping it cannot construct wifi signal see: (infinite loading) only fixes after restart

and logs are:

Doesnt matter which ant_sel i set or disable power managements, wifi signals are good there something fishy in some other area.

Beans

"it cannot construct wifi signal" something here to look into

Beans

plasticdeveloper32 any improvement

Nah man, nothing.

Why my module keeps disconnecting and connect when my laptop awake from sleep. i have disabled power management still ??

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast