Thread: 32 bit Epson 3170 on 32 bit ubuntu 18.04 seen by scan programs but can't start scanne

32 bit Epson 3170 on 32 bit ubuntu 18.04 seen by scan programs but can't start scanne

I put 32 bit ubuntu 18.04 on my 64 bit computer so I could download the 32 bit drivers for epson 3170 scanner. I gave up trying to get it to work in 64 bit mode. Skanlite and simple scan both see the scanner but cannot start scanner. Image scan does not see the scanner. lsusb and sane-find-scanner see epson flatbed scanner
    sudo scanimage -L
    device `epson:libusb:001:003' is a Epson x-gnu/libsystemd flatbed scanner
    scanimage -T
    scanimage: sane_start: Invalid agrument
    scanimage -V
    scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.27; backend version 1.0.27
    cat /etc/sane.d/dll.conf - commented out epson2 and epkowa
    Can anyone please help me. I have been googling and searching for an answer, trying everything that is recommended.
    Xsane also sees my scanner (linux-gnu/sane/l flatbed scanner {epson:

libusb:001:002} and also sees it as a network scaner {net:localhost:epson:libusb:001:002} but with both I get the Error: Failed to start scanner:Invalid argument. Running it in terminal gives me the warning that I am on my own if I try it and then I get the same error message: Invalid argument. Any one have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 32 bit Epson 3170 on 32 bit ubuntu 18.04 seen by scan programs but can't start sc

So, in the end, the same result. Meanwhile you wasted some time installing a "crippled" OS that's just about to be binned to the history's trash can for good. Even if you really needed a 32-bit OS having it in a virtual machine would be a more sane approach.

What about Windows? Does it still work with at least one of the currently supported Windows versions (8 and 10)? If so, again, virtual machine.

Re: 32 bit Epson 3170 on 32 bit ubuntu 18.04 seen by scan programs but can't start sc

I installed it on a 32 bit system because I couldn't get any help trying to install it on my 64 bit system. It is a good photo scanner and I wanted to be able to use it from my desktop. The scanner works on my wife's Mac but I was hoping to get some help here instead of criticism. The OS although old is on an older computer with only 2meg ram. I see a lot of people have gotten it to work but I follow their suggestions with no luck. Just looking for a little help here. I thought ubuntu was supposed to be a simple easy OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu is simple but doesn't do miracles. And 32-bit architecture is as good as dead. If you think that stating facts is criticism you better adjust your sensitivity meter as that was NOT the point.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

I know ubuntu 18.04 is at its end and I know 32 bit has seen its day but since I can't get the scanner working on 64 bit thought since the scanner drivers were 32 bit it might be easier to get it working. I figured I'd dedicate this computer just for scanning. I guess not.

I had tried vuescan on 64 bit and was told by the tech team there that they didn't have the drivers either and couldn't help me. I guess I will try it on 32 bit and see what happens. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprosceo-frontiernet View Post
    I had tried vuescan on 64 bit and was told by the tech team there that they didn't have the drivers either and couldn't help me. I guess I will try it on 32 bit and see what happens. Thanks
    It's a waste of time.
    VueScan doesn't have a different set of drivers just for 32-bit.