Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ubuntu server vs ubuntu desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ubuntu server vs ubuntu desktop?

But how did you manage network card in server? is look like ubuntu desktop its easy to charge card without to do anything?
    Why did not networks icon show on server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by LMH1 View Post
    But how did you manage network card in server? is look like ubuntu desktop its easy to charge card without to do anything?
    Icon? Server? I have never installed a GUI on my servers for the express purpose of keeping my used resources and security weak-points low. I use PuTTY + SSH to manage my servers. The only thing I have ever touched with my servers regarding network, is the configuration file which is located here since Ubuntu Server 18.04 --> /etc/netplan/*.yaml

When I boot up a server for the 1st time, it comes up using DHCP and one of my 1st steps is to convert it to a static IP. I have detailed such steps here..

LHammonds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LMH1 View Post
    servers don't have icons. They don't have any GUI.
    Network management is through config files. Search for "ubuntu server guide" for instructions. This is common across all linux and unix servers and always has been the method used. The specific config details have changed over the decades.

If you need a GUI, perhaps the skills are not ready to run a server?

This management method is much easier than using a GUI that changes from release flavor to release flavor. It is especially easy to manage 1000 servers or 5000 when text config files are used for all settings. This s a foreign idea to average desktop users who need some gui to lead them through settings.
    Last edited by TheFu; August 22nd, 2020 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can someone make a guide how to make domain user (automatcally backup) everthing from a desktop computer to a server? And how caching (proxy) or some like that works?

Because i did not find pfsense support to make its to ruter also so i have hoped to get some help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Those are new questions needing different expertise.

BTW, pfSense isn't Linux, so that should probably be in a completely different forum. I use OPNSense, previously used pfSense, have deployed pfSense for clients. Don't see what Ubuntu/Linux has to do with router software like those.

If you can't find a guide, maybe create one? Linux solutions tend to build on each other, so jumping to the end of the book to solve the problem doesn't work. You need to learn chapter 1, 2, 3 in order first. Background is key.

There are a number of posts in these forums around backups. IMHO, all the "1-click" solutions are terrible and prone to total failure. We see that a bunch. What you need depends completely on your situation. Lots of choices. No need to rehash all those issues now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have asus\netgear ruter very easy but most its very outdated and poor.
    What is difference with PFsense and OPNSense?

Because ubuntu 20.04 works with 2.5 gigabit ethernet and SFP+ and QSFP+ and UEFI bios.
    PFsense did not works and did not have UEFI bios support and support of more than 4 GB ram, drives in freeBSD is poor compare with ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if this is for home use or LAN server in smaller company there are a couple of options that come with GUI.

For example Zentyal server will come with desktop as well as a webgui (you control server via web browser graphical interface) dashboard. it is specifically designed to help migrate windows server users to linux. it is based on ubuntu. i am unsure if they still have official Cannonical support/backing. they used to have it. the community edition is free of charge.

Open media vault (OMV) is a Debian based server that offers a very nice WebGUI. it is easy to install and setup. it is aimed at creating media storage server. but has many GUI addons and is versatile, so you can use it for other things as well. good community support in forums.

Nethserver is a server based on CentOS (which is basically a community edition of Red Hat Linux). It also has a very nice WebGUI and is easy to install and setup. again this one is aimed at small businesses and home users. it's been a while since i tested this one, but it does have descent community support and good documentation.

there are a few others that offer various types of GUI interfaces for easier management of smaller or larger servers. but these 3 stuck in my mind the most due to their ease of use.

i use Ajenti WebGUI installed on Ubuntu server. it does make some things easier to administer. i have a home LAN server with limited internet connections.

as other mentioned the best thing is to learn and then have text only (Command line interface =CLI), especially if you plan to open it to internet.

if you plan to access it from internet make sure you harden your server as much as you can and regularly monitor what is going on on server. and don't forget about backups.

here is one of many hardening lists: https://gist.github.com/lokhman/cc71...b2d9264c0287a3
    this one is from digital ocean - also good source of information: https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...-sever-in-2017
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if you use ubuntu server 18.04 you wont have thoose nic problems

and with gui it basicly looks the same as regular ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

server is a little more reliabul and maybe more powerfull for long time use

but why you can download gui for the server makes little sense

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by math492m View Post
    server is a little more reliabul and maybe more powerfull for long time use
    Errr, what? Ubuntu desktop is basically Ubuntu server with GUI packages added. They core systems are completely identical, the only remote truth to your statement might be that the server maybe has fewer packages that can break.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12